11 | Lucy's Stand

Start from the beginning

Thebes introduced me to Warren who took a special liking to me...called me his little Angel. The combination of my long pink hair, metal arms, and desperate situation was enough to make me the perfect doll. He got us a new apartment and paid my mom's med bills. But there was a catch my young mind looked over. I would be in debt to him and would need to pay him monthly payments.

Though I am relieved that my mom is safe and we are supplied now, I'm at my breaking point. My clients are getting more and more violent-and I'm not allowed to fight back.

I would leave Euphoria if Warren hasn't got me hanging onto him for dear life. He found a naive, pretty, and poor girl who would do anything to save her mother-and took advantage of her. I have no choice but to pay off my debt or pay the price. The consequences are severe if I fail.

I've heard it from his own mouth. He'll kill my mother and keep me as his own slave.

I wish I never accepted his offer. I should have jumped.

Is it selfish of me to say that? I have a home and my mother is now able to survive in a home with food on the table. I should be happy, right? So what if I'm in debt to Warren? Euphoria may kill every ounce of pride and respect I have for myself. But it's saving my mother, it's giving her a chance to survive. If her survival comes at my expense, I will take on that burden. She's done so much already raising Lisa and me by herself.

I breathe slowly staring at my client. The pink chandelier with knife-like crystals dangles over my head. Lights dance across my skin as I grab its rim.

I have to do this.

I hate every second of it but it's better than losing my mother. I fight the urge to throw up with the smile below me.

Thebes waits for me when I leave the bedroom. He leans against the wall across from me. His silver hair is long and thin in the pink fluorescent lights. He twirls a strand of my pink hair with a sick smile. His freakish pink eyes are bloodshot from some crazy shit drug, probably diamonds. I've always wanted to smash his face in. But how could I? I'd lose everything.

"You look good in that, Angel."

He holds a wad of cash out to me and I can tell by the stack that I'm missing at least two hundred. I do my best to keep my tone flat speaking with him. Thebes's mood can swing from high to low at any second.

"Where's the rest?" I ask softly.

His eyes linger over my body and it takes everything in me not to tighten my prosthetic hands. Normal people are able to get away with forming fists soundlessly but mine are awfully loud. There's a loud screech with the metal grinding on itself.

"I'll give you the rest and more," He answers, "Entertain me in the torture room."

No, God no. There's no telling what he will do. He's never approached me before about it but I've heard the horrors through other dolls. They swallow their pride and do it because they need the money.

Am I really going to do the same? That money is mine. I shouldn't have to do this.

But I know that cash is not enough for my monthly payment to Warren, and he knows that. I keep my voice monotone as I speak, hoping I don't step on any landmines with my words.

"I've handled most of your clients this week." I tell him carefully, " This payment covers forty clients but I've had fifty-eight."

"Lucy..." Impatience hardens his voice, making my stomach tighten, "I didn't ask you, I'm ordering you."

My back hits the wall. No...No...I need the money but I don't want to do this. That's a boundary I don't want to cross. My blood curdles with his high voice.