11 | Lucy's Stand

[Trigger Warning: Themes of sexual abuse, depression, and suicide]

Sun soaked up the carpet, warming our toes

Mother's hands danced across the piano

The air burst with exciting, lively notes

As Lisa and I spun in circles

Laughing until we had no more air

Rolling on top of one another in a tangled mess.

Mother turned around to watch

A rare, happy smile on her lips.

There was silence

Before the ground shook

And the walls caved in

There was silence

Before the wood beam swung from above

And Lisa threw me to the side

There was silence

Before the ceiling fell apart

And something crushed my arms

There was silence

Before the terrible screams

and the room turned black

Then there was nothing.

| Lucy's P.O.V, 5 Years ago |

Ground City Level, Euphoria.

I lift my foot onto the circular bed and my stomach sinks with my feet into the black covers. My client is neatly clothed in a suit while I'm practically naked in front of him in a ridiculous body outfit. I didn't even bother looking twice in the mirror when I saw the strange attachments this time. What those are even for, I have no idea. I don't want to know. I haven't been updated on the new wardrobe Thebes has ordered.

I hate that creepy son of a bitch. The pedophile steals our wages and his long, bony fingers wander where they shouldn't. No one has the nerve to tell him off because of his ties with the Masaki clan and his high standing with Warren. He's a frocked-up piece of shit but he brings in the gold.

There's nothing I can do about him. Whether I like it or not, he is my lifeline and can pull the plug whenever he wants. Thousands of other girls would gladly jump in my spot for the money.

Something rises to my stomach as I look down at my client. I curse at him aloud. Normally it's disgusting but this is just unbearable. The outfit and the age difference combined, along with his kinky desire for me to verbally harass him. A fourty-year-old with a sixteen-year-old. It's so gross.

Damn, I hate Euphoria. But I need the money a damn lot more. My sister, mother, and I barely made ends meet as it was before the earthquake. We all worked two jobs to be able to afford a single-room apartment in a safe neighborhood and afford food. Never knew my father except he was an asshole living in the clouds, a high city dweller. Every time I look up, I flip off every single high city mother frocker.

God knows he has the money to help us but he doesn't give a shit, just like the rest of them. Got my mother pregnant twice and left Lisa, mom, and I working our asses off. We've been nothing but street rats our lives, trying to get food and a roof over our heads.

I never thought I would turn to prostitution. Lisa would have been furious if she were alive. But my older sister isn't here anymore, not after the earthquake. With her death and my mother a paralytic, it's up to me to bring in the money.

Thebes had his snake eyes on me the whole time. He approached me when I was smoking on a bridge. I was considering jumping that day but I took it as a sign that there was hope when he told me he had the offer of a lifetime. He had shady written all over him but I was desperate. I knew dolls got paid well, so when he mentioned Euphoria, he had my attention. We were behind on our payments and about to get evicted. It would mean the streets for us, and no one survives for long there. It's too dangerous with gangs jacked up on drugs and alcohol.