1 | Golden Moon

Earth----Year: 2286, The Helix.

I quickly walk down the mirror-paneled hall while balancing a tray of drinks. The dark blue and pink neon lights create an illusion that I'm walking through a kaleidoscope. I blink heavily. My heart beats in my throat.

This is crazy. I'm going to get caught.

Feeling my skirt rise with each step, I pull it down with a clammy hand. The tray shakes violently and I lurch to keep a glass from tipping over.

I'm in over my head. But I need to do this.

The digital music overhead increases in tempo, making me walk fast toward the heart of the club. Dancers in a zero-gravity chamber float in front of me, making me feel as though I have stepped into outer space when I leave the tunnel. The loud drumming of the music stuns me, creating a piercing sharp pain in my head. I look past the floating dancers to see the lower levels of Helix staggered in a spiral.

On one level there are rows of physical holograms holding street fighter tournaments and a crowd of betters. A great bar is on the level below that, surrounding a pool. I can barely see the level below that with the confetti and flashing lights blocking my view. My head hurts the more I stare.

Enough looking around. You have a job to accomplish.

I quickly walk along the upper level and head toward the golden moon-shaped door leading to the rooftop and bar restaurant, Golden Moon.

My vision flashes red and it takes me a moment to realize it's my health monitor. The biotech software is connected to my nervous system, which is controlled by my chip. My biotech AI assistant, Sky, reports my condition.

"You are experiencing high-stress levels. I suggest you-"

"Quiet," I mutter, hoping no one sees my shaking tray and asks me questions.

I've come this far to get into Helix. I can't lose my cool.

The door parts, turning into two crescent golden moons as it swings upward. I enter and walk through the outdoor lounge. The intimate and upscale atmosphere is without walls and holds a clear and beautiful night view of downtown, Karmin. The wealthy elite talk lowly amongst themselves in the eloquent, ivory seating overlooking the dazzling skyscrapers and air traffic below.

I walk under the great crescent moon overhang and feel more at ease when I see that my attire is matching the other food runners.

I'm okay. No one will notice.

I allow myself to enjoy the golden light fixtures from the crescent moon overhang. They're arrayed in constellation shapes and their glow reflects off the shimmery black stone floor. I admire the beautiful golden sculptures of women in flowing dresses holding planets in their hands. It is quite an impressive place, even the chairs people eat in are artistic. They're made of onyx and have golden drawings of constellations and planets on their backs.

When I get to the center of the room, I look ahead a few tables to see my target. Cypher Wing, the chief cybersecurity officer of Helix...in the flesh. He's quite noticeable in his shimmering suit but has a quiet, serious demeanor.

He comes here once a year for a conference meeting with the other executives. He's the reason I'm here tonight.

Is a little bit of information really worth committing this crime?

I smile softly at a woman who glances in my direction.

Yes, it is. It will be.

My heart beats in my throat as I approach his table. Two executives look up at me and I do my best to quietly place the drinks they ordered in front of them, working my way patiently down to Cypher.