7 | Hidden (L)ove

| L's point of view, six months later |

My eyes burn as I stare at my telescreen in the dark, resting my fist under my chin. Adam and Arabella created a chip simulator called Shield. It's an online environment where we can host any chip software structure and test and manipulate it. We're in the process of making a firewall to block hacks aimed at the chip. It's a long work in progress, a constant creation that needs reforming and tweaking based on the information we gather.

On top of Shield, I've been tracking Phantom's activity with Adam. There are five divisions in Haven: north, south, east, west, and central Haven-with many secret hideouts. I was in the central division led by Colton, with roughly twenty members split into five teams of four. We were designed to be small because our purpose was narrow: kill key Haven officials. That could mean a bombing at a place they were meeting or a single-person assassination. Adam and I have been on the lookout for such threats and similar ones.

In recent cases Adam had as a Watchman; unexplainable mindless violent acts have been occurring...strangers killing strangers on the spot...and their chip biomedical software showed no changes in their bodies. It is a serious, serious threat that if not extinguished, could prove to be fatal and cause anarchy. It sounds like something Phantom would be behind and I believe they are.

I know I'm painting a target on my back by exposing Phantom but I've never really worried about losing my life. Firewall's objective must come before filling my wants, needs, and desires. I couldn't care less if Phantom shoots me in the head or I pass out from lack of sleep.

There are many things to do and people to save. No matter what I do, my efforts are never enough. My worst mistakes will always be waiting for me in my shadow when I feel the need to rest. When I lay to sleep, the faces I've killed and the people I've tortured reappear before me. I hear their screams and feel myself standing over them.

I don't deserve rest.

Though I've accomplished all my daily tasks, I open up a case file in Shield that Adam has been working on as a Watchman. Maybe I can find something to prove Phantom is behind these crimes.

My caller rings and I glance down to see Adam's profile on my telescreen. It's 3:30 am, he's normally sleeping at this hour. I answer quickly.

"L...why are you on Shield?"

"I'm working," I respond simply.

I'm confused to hear a gruff sigh blow into my ear. I thought he would be pleased.

"L," He mutters, "When was the last time you slept?"

The off-topic question makes my mind go blank What? This is the third time this week he's asked about my personal habits. I don't understand why he keeps poking me with questions when I'm getting work done. There are more important things to be concerned about.

"There's no time for rest, " I insist, "Now when there's work to be done."

He sighs heavily.

"I'm coming over."

Hearing the door click, I spin around in my chair. Light breaks through the crack and Adam's voice booms as if he hadn't just woken up. I can't quite place the emotion in his words. He sounds mad but there's something else behind the frustration.

"L, what are you doing?"

I'm surprised to hear Arabella's soft, yet firm voice follow his lead.

"You need to sleep."

She's up too? What's going on?

The door flies open and light flashes across the room, temporarily blinding me. I blink heavily feeling my eyes sting sharply. Adam and Arabella's blurry forms move across the room.