Chapter 5

I lay down on my back in the pearly sand a few yards away from the shelter and fire and look up at the clear blue sky. My mind fills with thoughts.

We're going to die. This is how it ends. My life is over. All of our lives are over. We're already dead. What is my family doing? Does someone else live in my dorm now? To the world, am I no longer here? What would I be doing right now if I was back home? I can really go for a cheeseburger right now.

My stomach growls, I am so sick of fish and nuts, but it's better than starving, I guess.
I dig into the sand next to me and make small holes, the sand slowly fills them half way up over a little bit. I turn my head so my ear listens to the ground. I see over by the fire Ashley and Drake sit close to each other while holding sleeping Spike. Ashley is pretty sure that he trusts us now, but Chase is still a little sketchy about the idea. Both Ashley and Drake laugh at something Spike did, I'm not sure what. he's probably farted or sneezed or something dumb like that. I roll my eyes at the thought.

"Hey." Chase walks from the opposite detection.

He was fishing, but want to very successful. In his hand is a broken fishing rod I made out of strips of vine and long branches. He is all wet and dripping. I sit up and shade my eyes to see his face.

" Oh my god! What happened?" I stumble to my feet and stand face to face with him.

He forehead is bleeding and so is his nose. His face is dirty with sand and blood mixtures.

"I, umm, slipped on the rocks and fell in, but I'm like totally fine." Chase does a tired smirk.

I smile. "What did you do, land right on your face?"

"Sort of. Okay not really." he shows me his hands and four arms, they're all scraped up. I shake my head.

"Whoa, dude lets get you cleaned up." Drake looks at Chase's wounds while Ash holds spike in one hand while covering her mouth with another. They are right next to me now.

Chase looks at all of us one at a time, "Ya, ya cool."

I smile, "Cool."

Ashley runs back over to the camp area and puts Spike in his cage and grabs Drakes jacket while Drake and I walk with Chase to the creek. once we get there we help Chase sit down. Ash gives me the jacket and I soak it in the creek, I then dab the bleeding areas on Chases face and arms.

"No more going over by those rocks anymore, okay? They aren't safe." I urge.

"But it-"

I interrupt him, "I know it has bigger fish in that area, but we can just keep eating the smaller fish if it means you won't be bashing your head and breaking you nose."

"Ya, but-"

"It's to dangerous." I firmly say, with a straight face.

Chase looks at me slightly impressed, "Yes boss." I smile and nod at him. He fumbles with the rocks and sandy dirt he sits on as I carefully dab and wipe his hands. " Is it really broken?" He taps the top of his noes and flinches at the pain.

I look at the purple, blue top, " Luckily, no. But it will be sore for a little, Ashley will bandage your head with a leaf later, but right now we should let it get some air."

He smiles, "Okay."

We both stand up and wipe ourselves off. I look up at him and see his wound is clotting

"Good?" He asks.

"Good." I answer.

"Great." he smiles.

I smile at him and just look at him for a while. I bite the inside of my cheek.

He slowly leans in for a kiss. We both stop and jump away when we hear a scream, coming from the base. Damn it, I was looking forward to that kiss...