31. The Kitten's Discovery

"Webpaw!" a kitten squealed.

     Webpaw froze in place just as he emerged from the medicine den. His ears perked, head snapping quickly around. Snow exploded into the air as Redkit collapsed into the fluff, Tigerkit stamping behind her. The younger cat had been the one to speak. "What're you doing?" she questioned, her little head tilting in curiosity as she stared at Webpaw with her wide eyes. Webpaw watched as Redkit got to her paws, shook her fur clear, and grinned.

     She should be an apprentice. Why is Fallenstar waiting?

     "Oh, just-" he cut himself off, looking around for an answer. Redkit huffed.

     "You're being suspicious," the young cat pointed out. "You hiding someth-"

     "Redkit! Come see this frozen mouse! It's all funny looking!" shouted the cat that was Ashkit. Redkit rolled her eyes and turned, glancing at Webpaw and then grinning, and she bounced away towards her twin. Now Webpaw was left with little Tigerkit.

     "Can I go inside?" Tigerkit meowed, looking past Webpaw and into the tunnel to the medicine den. Webpaw opened his mouth to answer but was cut short when the she-kit quickly slipped past and worked her way down into the cave. The apprentice turned sharply and followed, and when he reached the end of the tunnel, Tigerkit was staring through the ripped leaf, examining the contents.

     "What are these berries? They look dumb," she commented, not looking away. "Can I eat them? Are they some sort of helping herb? I know there are berries that help cats with illness like.. Jum-per?"

     "Juniper helps bellyache," Webpaw murmured. "These.. Are.. Uh-"

     Very poisonous berries that could kill a cat in minutes-

     "Have you ever heard of holly berries?" he inquired. Tigerkit's eyes went wide and she looked at him with a sort of pride. "Tigerstripe and Sandfoot's den is a holly bush! Momma told me not to eat the berries when they come in in Greenleaf. Are they bad?"

     Terrible.

     "Harmless," Webpaw told her. "They're nice decorations though.. That's why Tinypetal doesn't want you eating them."

     Tigerkit was silent as she peered at Webpaw, processing his words, and Webpaw watched as she looked back down at the holly berries. "Why do you keep them in the medicine den?" she inquired, and Webpaw felt his paws beginning to go numb. "They.. They help cats who are in pain.. The berries help to make them feel better." He sat and curled his tail around his paws. Now or never.

     "You can eat them."