19. The Broken Vow

"You're awake?"

     These were the first words Webpaw heard after his dream, and these were the first words he had heard from Frozenfoot.

     "You were twitching, but I didn't think you would really wake up." His voice was quiet, like a whisper from a frightened kitten.

     Webpaw jumped in his fur and leaped to his paws, backing away from the tom with a wide eye and a shocked expression.

     "You.. You spoke!" he cried out. "Hush, or you'll wake the others," Frozenfoot commanded, and he nodded to the edge of the summit before padding towards it. He sat, and curled his tail around his paws, and looked back expectantly at Webpaw. Webpaw held his breath, his mouth agape as he gingerly approached the MarshClan tom. And he sat beside Frozenfoot with fidgety paws. "What about your oath thing?" he asked, trying to calm himself. Frozenfoot shrugged.

     "I don't think it's important. How was StarClan?" he answered, then questioning the younger tom. Webpaw looked at him with an expression of panic, and then he looked away.

     "They.. I haven't spoken to StarClan in a while. I've tried but.. They won't answer. Not even tonight," he told Frozenfoot. "I believe in them, and have talked to them. But instead of talking to them, I end up talking to.. Something else." "StarClan is shutting you out. They don't want to talk to you," Frozenfoot said matter-of-factly. Webpaw cringed and looked at him with horror. "Why?" he questioned. "What did I do wrong?"

     Frozenfoot smiled smugly. "It's not what you've done wrong. It's just that they have nothing to say. Unless you're looking for someone in particular, like a dead friend or whatever." Webpaw swallowed a stone in his throat, painfully, and sighed. "I wanted to speak with my mother," he said. "She either has nothing to say, or she's displeased with you. You're blocking out all of StarClan, and trying to get one cat to talk, and that cat doesn't feel like it. That's why you have no answer."

     Webpaw sighed, and stared down at the trees below the two. "What if I continuously have dreams? Of a prophecy or something? And I need to talk to StarClan about it?"

     "Then you have your prophecy, so you're on your own."

     "Very reassuring," Webpaw hissed, and Frozenfoot chuckled. "I know, right? I actually asked Clearwhisker the same question when I was a kit, and he said something similar. 'You're out of luck,' is what he said, I think?" This made Webpaw huff in irritation. "Clearwhisker likes to do that kinda thing, huh?"

     "What about Clearwhisker?" inquired a curious Whisperheart as she trotted up. Her steps were lighter than before. "You know you shouldn't gossip. It's quite rude." "She-cats," Frozenfoot mumbled under his breath, and Webpaw couldn't help but smirk.

     Apparently, Whisperheart didn't hear the older tom's remark. But she had heard his voice. "So, Webpaw, did you get my good friend here to talk to you too?"

     Webpaw nodded and Frozenfoot narrowed his eyes at Whisperheart. "Yeah, but you better keep quiet. You and him are the only two, got it?"

     "Of course," Whisperheart replied. "I would never tell a lie."

     Frozenfoot visibly flinched and bared his teeth. Webpaw looked between the two, and he stood and stepped away. "Uh, Whisperheart. Don't start anything," he mewed, almost fearful. His mood had risen, then dropped, and once again he was trembling. What would happen if two medicine cats got into a fight? How would StarClan feel?

     Whisperheart looked remorseful herself, and said a quick apology. And Frozenfoot turned away from her.

     "Whatever."