Ep. 3.9 (R) - Did You Hear That?

Start from the beginning

"Look," he says to Farid, who's trying his best to ignore him. "My brain is racing, like, a thousand miles an hour, mate," Aidan says to him. "I can't sit still. I don't think I'm gonna get any sleep tonight."

Suddenly, Aidan stands and grabs his coat. Slipping his arms into the sleeves, he says, "I think I'm gonna go for a walk. You wanna come?"

Quietly frustrated, Farid runs his hands over his face and his fingers up through his hair. "No, not really..." he says quietly.

"Okay, well," Aidan replies. "I'm still gonna go."

Farid hears Aidan zipping up his coat, and he props himself up on his elbows in the bed and watches as Aidan scrounges around looking for his shoes.

Memories of long nights talking Sebastian down from one of his manic highs come flooding back to him, and at that point, he realizes he can't let Aidan go out alone.

Sighing, he says, "Hold on a minute." He sits up in the bed and plants his feet on the floor. Rubbing his face and trying his best to wake up, he says, "Let me get my jacket. I'll go with you."

*****

Aidan paces frantically while Farid tries his best to get dressed even though he's still half- asleep.

Slipping his boots on, Farid says to Aidan. "Look, I gotta go take a leak first. I'll be right back, okay? Just stay here and wait for me."

Aidan is lost in this head, his mind spinning, so he doesn't respond.

"Aidan!" Farid hisses, snapping Aidan out of his trance.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. I'll wait here," Aidan promises, but he's still totally out of it from Farid's perspective.

Farid looks at Aidan dubiously, but gets up and heads outside, making his way over to a large tree while Aidan tries desperately to pace off his fears.

He finishes his business and zips up when he hears a rustling and then the quick snap of a branch in the woods.

He freezes and squints, straining to see if he can make out exactly what's making the noise and where the sound is coming from.

Bending his head to the side, Farid focuses his hearing since Vampyrs have an amplified sense of both hearing and sight.

But before he can turn around, out of the corner of his eye, he sees a figure scamper past him at a frightening speed. He whirls around.

"What the...?"

Farid follows the trail of whatever it was that just ran by him, and turns around just in time to see Aidan racing down the trail like a mad man, headed into the thickest part of the forest.

"Shit!" Farid takes off after him.

"Aidan, wait!" he calls out. "Where are you going?"

Still running, Aidan yells back over his shoulder, "They're here! They're here! I saw them!"

"Saw what?' Farid implores as he tries to catch up to Aidan. "Wait! Stop!" he calls out.

Damn! This kid is fast!

Suddenly, Farid realizes he can't go into the woods unarmed, and plus, he could really use some help.

He rushes back to the tent. And before gearing up, he desperately tries to wake Patrick. But it's just not happening--Patrick's out cold, snoring like a hibernating bear.

"Damnit!" Farid rushes over to his bed and digs into his duffle bag, pulling out both of his daggers.

He also pulls out a short sword that he rarely uses and slips it into its scabbard and belts it around his waist.