Chapter 7: Trust and Mistrust

"You called?", Liam states calmly, while entering Rushmore's office. Rushmore was currently sitting in his chair writing something down and didnt even look at Liam when he starts to speak.
"I have saved you the trouble of finding your target, since i had my guards find her already. I just called you to...you know...take care of him.", he says matter of factly. Liam sighs, disappointed. The only good thing about his job was the hunting down, the thrill you have when you have to take cover, hide so that your target doesnt spot you. And Rushmore had managed to take, even the little fun he had at his job, away.
Without another word Liam takes the gun out of his holster in his jacket, and turns off the safety. Putting the silencer on his gun, so it wouldnt cause any unnecessary noise, he turns towards the door, where the target would supposedly come through.
Its been two weeks now since he started working for Rushmore and he still hadnt heard a thing from Pablo. At first Liam had just shrugged it off, thinking that he would get over his little hissy fit eventually. But now he was starting to worry.

"Sir. They just entered the elevator.", one of Rushmores various guards says through the door.
"Thank you William.", Rushmore says, his voice sounding distant.
Liam crosses his arms behind his back, hiding the gun, so the target wouldn't get a heart attack at the mere sight of him.
He looks at the door and his mind couldnt help but wander off to the day he had gotten the chance to finally talk to that girl. Cecilia was her name. He couldnt help but smile, thinking back to the small conversation they had. She had sounded so careless, so worryless, immediately pulling him into the exact same mood she had been in. He really had enjoyed her company, although he sometimes wondered why she had stroked this strange mans beared at the reception. It was weird for Liam to look at but also strangely amusing.
He had planned to go over to hers just like she asked him to, many times for the past two weeks, but found himself not able to do so.

Trust no one.

This one sentence still flew through his mind, like a warning. In the end that was what kept him from driving to that mansion and see her again.
He was still unsure if he could trust Cecilia. He hated the fact that it took one encounter and she had him wrapped around her little finger. He couldnt stop thinking about her, despite Pablos warnings and his own habits.
He wasnt one to trust, or one to maintain a good friendship or any other kind of relationship. The thought, about opening up to one person, giving them the power to stab you in the back, hurt you emotionally, frightened him. That is why he had been alone for almost his entire life. That is why he was even more scared now, that he craved the company of an ordinary girl. The Phantom, a professional killer, a dangerous man was afraid of a simple, blind woman.
He chuckles at that thought, shaking his head. This was all very surreal for him.
Suddenly the doors open a little violently, revealing two bulky men in suits dragging an older woman inside. She was pleading for them to stop, Liam could tell that shes been crying the whole way by her tear stained cheeks.
The men stop in the middle of the room, letting go of the woman immediately making her fall to her knees.
Rushmore had gotten up from his chair and walked around the table to get closer to that woman, while Liam just stood there, waiting.
"Mrs. Miller. I do have to say, im very disappointed.", Rushmore says in a fake hurt voice.
The woman sobs and looks up at him with pleading eyes.
"Im sorry. I swear, i didnt mean too. It wont happen again, i promise!", she whines, and Liam looks at Rushmore, who's face hadnt changed in the slightest.
For a split second Liam wondered what it was the woman had done, to anger Rushmore, but he soon waved it off since it wasnt his place to ask these kind of questions.
"I know. I know. Dont worry.", Rushmore puts a hand on the womans shoulder soothingly, this was Liam's cue to get ready,"I'll forgive for what you've done."
Liam steps behind the woman, she didn't seem to have noticed him at all.
"Im going to be forgiving...towards your children and your dear husband. As for you...you've tested my patience enough already.", Rushmore proceeds to say, turning his back on her.
"No, no, no...please...plea-", she pleads but is cut of by the bullet piercing through her head.
Her body falls limp to the sides,as Liam's arm which was holding that gun sinks beside his body again.
"She was a mother...", Liam states, frowning.
"Yes, but she decieved me....thats why she had to die.", Rushmore says casually sitting back in his office chair, crossing his arms.
"You see...you have to be careful who you put your trust into, Collins. Because everyone is a threat these days...even the small scout girls trying to sell you cookies, can turn out to be real monsters in their later days."
Liam couldn't help it, but as Rushmore said this he could only think about Cecilia.
Could he really trust her? Should he abandon all of his rules that saved him from unnecessary drama and trust a woman, who he didnt even know?