Chapter 13: Surgeries and Tricks

"So, you're telling me that your dad found a doctor who can laser your eyes, for what? A thousand dollars...but you dont wanna take up the offer of Rush- my cousin for free?", Liam asks, disbelief laced in his voice, as he makes a left turn with his car. He hears her sigh. They've been officially friends for more than a month now, a month full of games like 20 questions which made him pretty sure that he now knew all about her, nevertheless she still never ceased to amaze him with her actions and way of thinking.
"I know its weird, but i just dont want to live with the constant thought of being in depth for your cousin.", she then says, "its way more money than this laser operation."
The blindfolded man, who was tied up to the passenger seat started struggling again, making Liam roll his eyes before slapping him across the face to indicate to him that he better stopped struggling. Luckly, he did.
"So, do you think it'll work?", he then asks.
Theres a long silence, in which he thought that the line went dead maybe, until she starts to speak again.
"Yes, yes i do. You know, we were at so many docs claiming to have THE cure for my blindness, but everytime i was disappointed to the core. One day i just stopped getting my hopes up but after a long time...i actually believe that it'll work this time.", she explains and Liam could almost hear the smile in her voice,"and you sure you cant accompany me to the hospital? Im kinda getting nervous....a little."
Liam sighs again, adjusting the phone on his ear.
"Im sorry Cecil but im at work right now. I gotta go now, but i promise I'll be there before they take off the bandages, alright?", he asks, guilt creeping into his body.
"Alright, I'll see you then, big bear.", she laughs nervously before hanging up.
Liam smiles. The past weeks had really brightened up for him, since Cecilia walked into his life. He felt bad not telling her what his actual job is, but he couldnt risk involving her into all of this. It would be too dangerous for her, and who knows how she would react.
Liam shivers, as if trying to shake off the mere thoughts of it.
The man beside him starts to struggle again, harder this time, causing Liam to groan, grab his pocket knife out of his jacket and burry it in the mans leg in one swift motion, causing him to yell out in pain. His screams go unheared for Liam had stuffed his mouth with cotton and tapped it shut.
"Shut up already.", Liam hisses picking up the pace so he would arrive at his destination earlier.
He had other places to be at soon.

--------------------------------

"Ms. Dubois, im Dr. Winters, I'll be lasering your eyes, today.", Cecilia hears the doctor say, which makes her grip her father's hand even tighter.
"Well..lets not waste time, im sure you cant wait to use your eyes again. Im sure my assistant has told you everything there is to know?", the doctor says again, she nods. Cecilia hears clicking of a pen and shuffling off papers. Before she feels the doctors hand taking hers and leading her out of the current room they were in. They walk for a while, nobody saying a thing before her fathers hand suddenly slips out of her grip, making her panick.
"Dad?", she half yells.
"Dont worry honey ill be right here waiting for you!", he retorts, his voice sounding distant.
A door closes behind them and she knew, even if she tried to, he wouldnt be able to hear her answer.
Soon she is laid down on something metal. Her arm is being pinched and she flinches for a short moment before remembering that it might just be the anesthesia.
"Ms. Dubois. Dont worry. Eerything will be alright. Just relax...", she hears the doctor say as something starts buzzing above her. Before she can figure out where that buzzing is coming from, she drifts off into darkness.

-------------------------------

"Please, please, please dont do this!", the man shouts in agony, as Liam drags him towards the cliff.
"Please dont! I have a wife and kids! Please!", the man shouts again, struggling against Liams grip. Liam, though, wasnt having any off it. He had pissed Liam off by ruining his new leather seats with his blood. Now he didnt even feel bad about killing him.
They were now both standing at the edge, when one would look down, there was nothing more but woods and thick fog. The perfect place to dump this man's body.
He throws him on his knees, placing one hand on the still weeping man's forehead while he keeps the other at the back of his neck, steadying him.
With on quick motion to the right, he breaks the mans neck, a sickening crack echoing through the landscape before Liam gives the body a push, making it fall 100 feet down into the woods and out of his sight forever.

--------------------------------

"Hi, im looking for Cecilia Dubois?", Liam huffs out at the reception of the hospital, after two hours of searching for that goddamn hospital.
The receptionist starts typing something into the computers, lazily chewing his gum and looking like he just had taken 50 hours of math class.
"Room 205. Second floor, to the right.", he finally says after taking his time searching for Cecilia's room.
Liam immediately darts off into the pointed direction.
As soon as he steps out of the elevator he runs into a very stressed looking Mr. Dubois.
"Oh, hey boy.", Dubois exclaims tiredly rubbing his forehead.
"Mr. Dubois.", Liam greets, giving him a respectful nod,"did it work?"
Dubois lets out an exhausted sigh, shaking his head.
"See for yourself.", he simply says, before Liam opens the door.
He immediately spots her sitting on the bed in the middle of the room.
Her hair was put up sloppily and she wore hospital clothes. She kept starring at the wall before her a small smile on her lips.
Liams steps closer cautiously to not frighten her.
"So...", he starts, scratching his neck awkwardly.
"...it didnt work.", Cecilia finishes for him, her nose scrunching up as if she was struggling against something, her smile still on her face.
Liam says nothing and sits on the other side of Cecilia's bed, waiting.
Its silent for a long time between them.
"This is so fucking stupid...", she finally chokes out,as her smile falters and a single tear manages to escape her eye,"why the hell do i even keep trying?"
By now waterfalls of tears were streaming down her face. Liams eyebrows knit together. He'd never seen a woman cry before, well, except the women who he had to kill. But that was a whole other story.
This woman infront of him though, was his only friend...crying.
He finally scoots closer to her trembling body and engulfs her in a warm and secure hug, attempting to shield her tiny self from all the bad things that roamed this world. Ironic, since he was one of said bad things.
"Its going to be okay.", he simply says. In all honesty, he didnt even know what to say.
"Its not going to be okay! Look at me! Im 23 years old, blind and living with my father who doesnt really give a shit about me!", she sobs holding onto Liams shoulders as if her life depended on it.
"Im so sick of it! Im so fucking sick of being babied all the time. Of never being able to go out and explore. To never being able to live my dream and create my future!", she pauses sniffling," im so done with being alone with this shit! Im sick of not being able to see anything!"
Liam cringes slightly at her choice of words, continuing to hold her.
"So what?", he finally says after a short silence.
"So what if you are blind. So what if you're still living with your parents. I wish i could.", he pauses, wiping of the tears from her face," so what if you're not living you're dream. Im not living mine either. What does it matter that your father doesnt give a shit about you! I certainly do."
She sniffles again.
"You what?", she asks.
Liam looks into her eyes. In those eyes that looked like the sun was living inside of them.
"I give a shit about you, Cecilia. And i wont allow you to do this to you just because you think being blind is stupid. Or because the surgery didnt work again. You're not alone. Not anymore, so stop piting yourself. I hate seeing you like that.", Liam says and a long silence engulfs them.
Suddenly Cecilia starts laughing.
Liam's eyebrows knit together. What was she laughing about?
"You totally fell for it, dude!", she exclaims, falling down onto the pillows laughing even louder now.
Realizing that Cecilia had tricked him he growls launching at her starting to tickle her.
She squeals, trying to wiggle out of his iron grip.
"You will pay for this!!", he roars imitating a monsters voice.
"Oh noooooo!", Cecilia screams still laughing, "you totally bought it! That speech you gave me though!!"
Eventhough Cecilia had fooled him not seconds ago, something he despised entirely, he couldnt help but let the smile spread across his lips.
This girl was not as weak as he thought.