Find your own light

3rd POV

Clash

BANG!

"Ugh!"

"Give up...your magic is futile!" Madeleine yelled, pointing a sword at his former friend...

Espresso stared determined and frustrated...

He's trapped him here and he knows if Espresso's tired enough he will drop the craters of Coffee eruptions.

Espresso struggled to stand having been thrown against the wall for the past few minutes, Madeleine looked at him, eyes furrowed in frustration as he attempts to strike first, Espresso strikes at him with a coffee attack, Madeleine dodges and hits his side with the handle of his sword pushing him to another wall.

Espresso coughed, grabbing his side with his right hand while keeping his left hand up.

"Enough...you're hurt enough..."

"Why don't you just kill me then?"

Madeleine's eyes softened, whether it was shock or surprise he didn't know...

"You killed those cultists easily...why can't you kill me?" Espresso spat, keeping his hand up.

"It isn't in my jurisdiction to execute the innocent..." Madeleine says, holding his sword tightly, Espresso scoffed. "Execute? Just who do you believe you are?!"

Madeleine placed his sword to the ground and looked with courage or pride. "I am The Phoenix Glider, ranked 'The Purger of Abomination' in the Celestial order of the Phoenix! By the name of the Order, I shall not take the life of an innocent but cleanse this world of plague if commanded!" He declared, Espresso looked at him confused...

If commanded...?

So it's not out of his own will...? He's being told what to do?!

Espresso knew Paladins took well to commands...they are submitted to the Light and are strict in upholding their creed...

But a god that tells him to kill cookies...?

"Madeleine that's barbaric! Why kill these cookies who only kill for the same reason as you-?!"

"It is not the gods who command this will..."

Espresso froze, he was not expecting that answer, he stared back into those cold eyes once filled with warmth...

If he doesn't kill for his gods, then...who?

Who is he answering to if not his god?

"The Phoenix Order is the Order created by the First World! Long before time had named this world Earthbread! The world created by the first who survived the oven!" Madeleine spoke, pointing his sword at him.

"We may serve under the will of our gods, but our actions and commands are to the First of Legends! There will to provide True Order to this world! Under the shadow of what it once was!"

Espresso paused, The First World? First of Legends? What is this?

Long before time had named this world Earthbread?

"What do you mean by that?"

"Unauthorized information...to be one with that classification is to be indoctrinated into the Phoenix Order...and you are not a member, so get out of my way!"

Espresso dodged the sword, it leaving a huge dent on the wall behind him, upon instinct, he threw a coffee bean at Madeleine's face, to his surprise, Madeleine was caught off balance by the sudden attack...