Chapter 64: Train Tracks

Ryota tapped his foot anxiously as he waited. The flight had been delayed, forcing him to keep lounging around in the limousine. Really, he could have been using his precious time making sure (Y/n) didn't have a hangover. Even a sip of alcohol was enough to knock her out, so when she came back a little out of it, he was quite worried. Especially with her constitution, he felt very uneasy about it.

Regardless, about an hour later than he had anticipated, the party arrived, the male lifting an eyebrow. The family was not what he expected. When talking over the phone with them, he had thought they would be at least on par with Arien Otsu's looks. He figured that was why she was so attached to them. Then again, maybe it was the obvious friendliness three out of the four possessed. And though one of them gave a standoffish disposition, there was a certain charm about him.

"Please, come in," he mumbled, forcing a business smile on his lips as he remembered what the younger girl taught him about first impressions, "How was your flight?"

"It was too much," the woman fiddled nervously, "First class, I mean, but we thank you for your generosity."

The green-haired male inspected the group, starting with her. Navy blue hair hung down around her shoulders and her brown eyes were filled with both sadness and hope. Obviously the mother of the three boys, she had an affectionate aura. Perhaps it was because she was a mother or maybe it was the fact that she taught younger children. At least, that was what he remembered reading on the background checks he had Hotaka do. Though he didn't quite know her relationship with the (h/c) haired girl, he held hope that she was a motherly figure for her as well.

Two of the boys looked remarkably similar, almost to the point of being twins. The seemingly older of the two, Yoru, was just a bit more mature in nature, had slightly different colored hair, just a few shades lighter blue than his younger brother. From what he had been told, he was rather intelligent, getting into one of his home country's best universities. The younger one, on the other hand, Tadashi, was not so smart, but he was artistic. He worked as a tattoo artist while going to a community college.

Then there was the strange one. Mitsuo Shiko was vastly different from his mother and brothers. He had slightly dulled white hair and a very unapproachable attitude. He acted just the same as he did when he had spoken to him over the phone. With an apathetic air about him, he just crossed his arms over his chest and stared out of the window like he had nothing better to do. He didn't even participate in the conversation. If that was the case, why did he even come?

"Not at all," Ryota responded, the car beginning to roll forwards, "I wanted (Y/n)'s surrogate family to be here for her. She's having a hard time, so I hope you'll cheer her up."

The woman gave a shy expression as the younger girl's name was brought up, prompting him to smile. She really did seem to treat the (h/c) haired girl like her own despite the fact they shared no blood. He then pondered if the woman knew about the abuse she endured at the hands of her "real" parents - the ones that had bought her. If she did, he felt great gratitude for the woman.

"So, what's the deal?" Tadashi huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Don't be rude!" the male's older brother hissed, elbowing him in the ribs.

"What?! Think about it! After the car crash, she just disappeared, and then 'Hashi did, and then, all of sudden, we get a call from her? And it's not that psychopathic bastard but this...guy?! Who the hell are you?!"

Ryota was a bit taken aback by the attitude he was given. He had expected to be treated a little better than Yasojiro, granted that he wasn't a "psychopathic bastard", but he supposed he couldn't have blamed him. Tadashi probably viewed the younger girl as his sister and only wanted her safety. In that regard, the two shared something. So, figuring it would be best to get along with the people like family to her, the green-haired male kept forcing his smile, Mitsuo twitching a bit.