29 - The Morning After

Start from the beginning

He reaches up a hand and strokes my face with the back of his fingers, the smile on his lips warm and genuine, making my heart flutter so.

"Last night didn't put you off me, then?" He asks, cocking an eyebrow. "I know the first time can be a little... awkward."

"You didn't put me off at all," I say honestly. "Last night was amazing, Fred. It was better than I could have imagined. And-" I shyly bury my face in his neck before I say the next bit, "I can't wait to do it with you again."

"Really?" I feel the lift of his jaw. "Bloody hell, Harri, you don't know glad I am to hear you say that."

I lift my face and he gently brushes his lips over mine, causing me to sigh softly.

"Come on," he says, regret in his voice, "I suppose we better go downstairs and face the music."

But I don't care, because I know, in that moment, that I can face anything with Fred by my side.

*****

Fred's hand is clasped tightly in mine as, after showering and dressing, we enter the kitchen together.

I feel my face flame as everyone looks up at us, the conversations that were previously being had coming to a deafening halt. Molly glares at us from the head of the kitchen table, whilst Ginny and Hermione shake in silent laughter and Ron's face flushes a bright pink.

George, who is leaning back against the counter sipping a large mug of tea breaks the silence.

"Morning," he smirks knowingly, throwing us a wink.

"Bacon butty?" Sirius says who is busily frying bacon over the stove. "I've made extra seeing as you both probably worked up quite the appetite in the night."

"Yes, thank you, Sirius, that will be enough talk of that nonsense," Molly snaps at him. "This isn't some sort of frat house."

"A bacon butty will be great, thanks Sirius," Fred says pointedly, "in fact, make that two."

Without letting go of my hand, he leads me over to the far end of the table, furthest away from Molly.

The sound of chair legs scraping against stone floor is deafening in the large kitchen. I smile at Ginny as I sit down next to her.

"Guess what?" She smirks, nodding over at Ron and Hermione who are sat opposite us, "we have a couple of Prefects on our hands it seems."

"WHAT?!" Molly screams, clapping her hands together. "Why didn't you tell me? Oh this is marvelous news, Ron! Another Prefect in the family! That's everyone now!"

"And what are George and I, exactly?" Fred scoffs, "next door neighbours?"

"That's enough out of you young man," Molly scolds. "The way you're going you'll end up changing dirty nappies before you've even graduated. And that's another thing, are you two even using protection?"

At this point, Arthur, who has just walked into the kitchen humming, quickly reverses back out of the room again.

I sink down in my chair wanting the world to swallow me whole.

Fred slams his fist down on the table, startling everyone in the room. "Damn it mother, why are you being like this? You weren't this way when I was with Angelina."

"She was a nice girl."

"SHE CHEATED ON ME WITH MY BEST MATE!"

"I think we all need to calm down here-" Sirius says loudly.

But Fred, clearly and understandably upset, doesn't leave it there as he continues to glare defiantly at his mother.

"Harri makes me happy, a lot happier than she did, and I won't apologise to you for being with her. And yes, for your information, we are being careful because I love and respect her too much to ever put her in that position."