|60| The way we are

Start from the beginning

"Carlos, are you sure this is a good idea? What happened with Mia and Danielle? They seem worried." Rick asks for the first time.

"There she is." I totally ignore him and point at Nathan's wife that's just getting out of the building, a blonde younger woman next to her.

"She isn't alone maybe we should forget about this," Rick says noticing how the two women keep walking in the same direction towards a black car.

"Follow them," I order ignoring him once again.

I notice Rick looking at me for a second wondering if he should really do this but I act oblivious and point at the direction the car is going.

"Her daughter's daycare is in the other direction so she is going somewhere else. Get going before we lose them." I say watching the car turn left.

Rick finally starts the car and follows the same path the women did. When he turns the corner I get visual again and inform him of every turn they make in case he doesn't notice. The last thing I need right now is to lose them.

For a few minutes, we follow the black car in total silence, and when it finally stops in front of an apartment complex Rick's phone starts to ring. He looks down at his screen and so do I. The number isn't saved but I recognize is Mia's number. She probably asked Danielle for it.

"Hung up," I tell him bringing my focus back to the women.

The blonde lady gets out of the car, giving her thanks and waving back at Nathan's wife. Then she waits for her to get inside the building to drive off once again.

Rick's phone starts to ring once again. This time is Danielle. They are fucking persistent.

"Give me your phone and keep driving," I tell Rick.

"What?" He asks confused.

"You heard me." I motion for him to hand over his phone.

"Carlos I don't think this is a great idea, you are not yourself right now." He shakes his head.

"Keep driving and hand me your phone," I repeat my voice cold and he stares at me in disbelief. "It's a fucking order, Rick," I say as a last resource.

When I look at him everything seems to be going through his head, but I'm sure the highlights are either punching me and throwing me out of this car or him getting out and leaving me hanging right here. But for some reason and to my surprise instead of following up with one of those two options he hands me his phone and keeps driving.

I put the phone on airplane mode too and watch where Dearest wife is going. Rick doesn't look my way once, he simply does as he is told. And even though I feel like an ass for ordering him around the way I did this is how is supposed to go. He might be like family and I value his advice but I'm tired of everyone telling me what I'm supposed to do. Tired of everyone walking over me.

"She is stopping," I inform Rick who just nods and stops the car a few feet away from her black car.

She gets out and crosses to the other side of the street. And I'm about to open the car door to follow when Rick puts his hand on my shoulder.

"If you really want to do this, you know I will be waiting here for you but you are better than this and you know it. We don't hurt innocents." Rick says looking directly into my eyes.

"Stay here, keep the car running." That's all I say before getting out and following her from the other side of the street.

She walks pretty fast for a forty-something-year-old woman in high heels at the end of the day but I'm able to keep up. Not without my leg screaming in pain though.