Chapter 8: Do you like her?

August 2022

She looked better some days more than the others. But I think that generally, she's getting better. I can't wait to see her today.

I liked the way she smiled. One side of her lip always tugs up first before her whole face lights up with the smile. Almost as if she's contemplating on whether to smile or not.

I like how she scratches the side of her nose with her thumb when she's thinking. I like how throaty her laughter sounds.

I packed my car in the compound and walked up to their place with a bounce to my steps. Already elated for the time we'd spend together.

The elation would disappear minutes later.

"Ij, I know you're in there. Please open the door."

(No response)
(Keeps knocking)

20 minutes later, I sighed and moved away from the door. And then went back to it. "Ij."

(No response)

I frowned and thought back to the last time we saw. Which was almost a week now. When I spent the night. I haven't seen her since then because it was hectic at work this week and I couldn't escape it. But all through this week, I did notice that she was avoiding my calls.

I wonder if something happened again at work. Or maybe I said something offsetting for her. Did anything happen that night that caused this.

"Ij." I called again from her door. Still no answer. I don't know how else to be there for her.

I walked away and entered my car. Called Oma as soon as I drove off. "Elvis, what's up."

"Oma are you at your place right now?" I asked.

"Yeah. Is there anything?"

"No. I just wanted to talk to you briefly. I'll be there in thirty." I said before ending the call.

It started raining immediately I drove off. Maybe it was a good thing that she didn't open the door. We couldn't have walked under this rain. I put on my music and hummed along.

******************

"Oma."

"Hey you. It's been long since I last saw you. What have you been up to?" She asked and hugged me before moving away from the door.

"Nothing much. Work. Eat. Sleep. Repeat the cycle." I said and she smiled softly and leaned in to hug me again.

Oma was one person that her reaction to all these was most shocking. Unlike every other person, she didn't break down. She cried the first few days. But it felt like she got over it quickly.

"Are you hungry? I just made ukwa." She said and I shook my head. "You look like you want to jump into the reason you're here. Ok, let's talk." We went to her couch and sat. She crossed her legs and waited for me to talk.

"It's about Ij." I said and she frowned and tilted her head to look at me.

"What about her?" She asked.