26 - The Dementor

Start from the beginning

Then the letter arrives declaring my expulsion from Hogwarts for using magic underage.

Well, this is turning out to be a fucking great day.

"GET TO YOUR ROOM, BITCH!" Uncle Vernon bellows in my face.

I don't have to listen twice. I take the stairs two at time, desperate to get Hedwig out to someone, but I don't know who will be able to help me anymore.

I need to get away before they come and snap my wand in half. I make the snap decision to go on the run with Sirius. We can be fugitives together.

I quickly scribble a note to him which I send off with Hedwig, praying she will be able to find him for me.

Packing only the bare necessities, I feel a sort of freedom wash over me. This decision isn't necessarily a bad one. I mean, I don't really know Sirius all that well, but my parents clearly thought he was alright enough to be my godfather.

Just as I pack the last item, Hedwig returns. Excited, I take the note and quickly unfold it.

Your parents would roll in their graves if I take you on the run with me. Sit tight and wait to hear from Dumbledore. He'll know what to do.
Sirius.

For fuck's sake! I was rooting for that dude!

Cursing, I decide to write my daily letter to Fred, hoping that he can at least offer me words of comfort even though he hasn't been writing all summer.

Fred,
Send help. Dudley's been attacked and they're going to snap my wand in half.
Harriet

I stopped putting kisses weeks ago.

To my great surprise, Hedwig returns with a reply.

Dear Harri,
Stay put do not give up your wand. Dad is sending help.
Love Fred xxxx

What the fuck? I am so confused as to why he hasn't replied all this time, that I barely notice when my door is broken down by a purple haired witch.

"Wotcha! I'm Tonks!"

******

"I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO GO TO CEDRIC'S FUNERAL! YET WHO WAS THE ONE TO SEE HIM MURDERED RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES?! WHO WAS THE ONE WHO SAW HIM COME BACK AND HAD TO ESCAPE HIM?"

"Uh- you?" says Ron unhelpfully.

"I SUPPOSE YOU'VE BEEN HAVING A REAL LAUGH, HAVEN'T YOU, ALL HOLED UP HERE TOGETHER-"

A loud crack, and suddenly I am face to face with Fred and George.

"Hello, Harri," George says grinning at me. "We thought we heard your dulcet tones."

I glare at them both, especially Fred.

"Thanks for your note," I snap. "Really informative."

"Look," Fred says, stepping towards me. "I can explain-"

"I had no idea what was going on!" I say at a rush. "I didn't even hear from you on my birthday! I thought something had happened, I thought you..."

I tail off not being able to say the rest, not being able to confess that I thought he'd simply decided I wasn't worth it anymore.

"I wanted to write to you but we weren't allowed. I begged Dumbledore to let me send you just one note explaining the situation to you, but he refused until tonight."

I frown. "Dumbledore? But what's he got to do with our summer correspondence?" That controlling prick.

"This is the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix," Hermione explains. "And also, it's Sirius' house."

"What?" I ask, my head spinning with all this new information. "And you guys have been here all summer?"

Hermione and the Weasleys all nod.

"Our parents are members you see," Ron explains. "It's a Dumbledore thing."

"And then why is she here?" I ask, pointing at Hermione who has the grace to look embarrassed.

"Dad said I could bring a friend."

"A friend?! A friend?! Well thanks a lot everyone. Way to make me feel real special. In the meantime I'm fighting off Dementors attacking me and my cousin in the street but as long as you're all safe and sound!"

"To be fair," George says, "Fred begged to go and get you the second we got here. It was quite insufferable actually."

Fred looks at me. "It's true." He says quietly, his eyes pained. "But Dumbledore refused point blank. He said you'd be safer at the Durselys."

I snort. "Yeah, real safe. I don't even know if my cousin is even okay right now since the attack."

"Dad's there now," Fred says, taking a tentative step towards me. "He'll sort Dudley out, I promise."

His face is so warm and kind and beautiful and I have missed him so much, that I find my anger simply evaporating away.

I dive into his arms, and I feel his whole body sigh in relief. He holds me tight, kissing my hair, and when I tilt up my face he kisses that too, peppering my nose, cheeks and lips in kisses.

"Alright guys, get a room," George drawls. "Or we can leave this one."

"Wait-" I say, breaking away from Fred. "You said this is Sirius' house? Is he here?"

George smirks. "Oh, he's here alright, driving our mother nuts."

Letting me go, Fred takes my hand. "Come on, we'll make up for lost time later. Right now, I think we'd better give you the grand tour. It'll probably be yours one day anyway."

Brilliant.

*******