Chapter 39: Mayhem at the Quidditch Cup

Start from the beginning

"C'mon," said Fred, grabbing Rubi's hand and starting to pull her toward the woods. Rubi looked down at their joined hands in surprise but she didn't have time to think about it, as the chaos only seemed to increase. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and George followed. They all looked back as they reached the trees.

The crowd beneath the Roberts family, the muggle family, was larger than ever; they could see the Ministry wizards trying to get through to the hooded wizards in the center, but they were having great difficulty. It looked as though they were scared to perform any spell that might make the Roberts family fall. Dark figures were blundering through the trees; children were crying; anxious shouts and panicked voices were reverberating around them in the cold night air.

The crowd was beginning to push them around and after a while Rubi realized that all the others were gone.

"Fred! Where are the others?"

Fred stopped walking and looked behind him, there seemed to be people running around in the distance but no one belonging to their group.

"We must have lost them on the way."

"We have to go back and find them!" Rubi said urgently, panic flooding her body. She made a move to leave but Fred pulled her back, resulting in the girl getting pulled flush against him.

"No, I'm sure they're alright. It's best to wait it out here, we'll head back once it all calms down."

Rubi slowly nodded but didn't remove her gaze from Fred, who let go of her and began looking around. Although she didn't realize it then, her heartbeat had quickened at the proximity. Time passed and the two stayed put in their spot.

Fred suddenly spoke, "Nice jacket."

Rubi blinked before realizing what he meant, "Oh, thanks. Not mine actually, belongs to mum. I had to steal it though when I found it earlier this summer, it looked cool."

"Looks amazing, especially on you." Fred quietly said, making Rubi's eyes widen for a second.

"What?" She breathed out in surprise.

"Um, I mean it looks good." He awkwardly said, not meeting the girl's gaze who for a second felt Ginny and Hermione's words ringing in her head.

What if he does too? No, it can't be. Just another compliment as a friend, again, right?

She shook her head.

The night was silent and Fred said, "Let's head back, I think it's over now." Rubi nodded in agreement.

However before either of them moved, a sudden bright light emitted up in the sky, piercing the darkness. Both of them jerked, before Rubi felt herself step forward, her eyes glued upon the sight unfolding before her.

It was a colossal skull, comprised of what looked like emerald stars, with a serpent protruding from its mouth like a tongue. It rose higher and higher, blazing in a haze of greenish smoke, etched against the black sky like a new constellation. Suddenly, the wood all around them erupted with screams. This however, didn't seem to reach the young Black, as her eyes watched the sky. Suddenly, the scene before her eyes switched.

She rounded a corner, only to pull back herself against the wall to avoid a narrow flash of light that zoomed past. She went forth, only to pause momentarily, her eyes scraping over the scene before rushing forwards to help the girl with bushy hair.

There was a ball of light headed for her, and Rubi heard a voice shout "Hermione, duck!"

With a start, she realized it was her voice. The person whose eyes she was looking through was her.