|59| The already too late

Começar do início

"He trained you well, same as Matteo did to that surgeon. What's with educated valuable women of society falling for these men? I will never understand." He says mostly to himself.

"You are losing my time, forget this." I nod towards the men and they move in my direction acting as a wall between me and Nathan so I can get away.

"I don't know if he has told you, but Nico is being moved to a higher security prison in Pennsylvania. Which means that your boy is running out of time and Nico is the only option he has to get to his father." He continues and it all starts to make more sense, once Nico is out of the state he probably has no power anymore and the deal is done.

And if I thought Nico going away will stop Carlos I would laugh at his face and thank him for the information but he knows as well as I do that Carlos will never stop. No matter how hard it is he will keep looking and this madness will never end.

"I'm pretty sure you have already figured out why I'm here but in case you haven't it means that once Nico leaves the state our deal is out of the table and probably the opportunity of finding Lorenzo too. But of course, he won't think that way, he will never stop and everything will get worse than it already is for nothing at all. So think smart and take these papers to him." He opens his suit jacket and hands me a manila folder.

I stare at it for a second knowing that I have to take it, that this is the last chance but I still don't trust him and I doubt this is really out of good conscience.

"If you are so sure that Nico is the path to finding Lorenzo why don't you do it yourself? Why send Carlos?" I ask getting a little closer to him and making the men to move slightly.

"As I told him, I'm not one to jump directly into the mess if not strictly necessary. I have too much to lose. He on the other hand, well... he just has you and as much as he might care or even love you I can assure you that his thirst for revenge will always be his one priority. Men like him, they are all the same. Power is all they really care about." His words shouldn't affect me but I won't lie, they do.

"You don't know him," I say as confidently as I can get myself to sound.

"Maybe... but do you?" He asks.

And I look at him expecting him to have one of his obnoxiously proud smiles on his face but he doesn't he actually looks... sorry.

"If for some reason you really care about him and want this to be over give him this, it's the only way." He motions for me to take the folder once again.

And this time, I take it.

"Even if I give it to him, he won't accept it." I find myself saying as I watch him give a step back.

"I know but I have a feeling you are the only person who might be able to convince him." He says turning around to leave but doesn't.

I wait, knowing something is still hanging in the air.

"You know? You seem like an intelligent young woman and this world, his world. It isn't for you. I don't know how deep you are inside this mess, how hard you have fallen for him but if I were you I would run before it's too late." That's the last thing he says before finally walking away.

It's already too late.

___

I built a whole plan in the car of how I was going to tell Carlos about this. The idea was going to find him in his office to try and figure out if he could take this information today. If he could I would wait until dinner time but now, standing at his office's door I'm not so sure if waiting is a good idea anymore.