Chapter Four - Summer Camp of the Grange

Start from the beginning

"Yes, well, I was wondering if I'd be able to take a look around your camp. Who is it I speak to about being approved to have access around the premises?"

"Me, of course. I'm Stanley Hogg, the main Granger of SCG. Why, may I enquire, are you interested in browsing around my camp?" his smile grew wider and wider with each word he pronounced. Emily was beginning to think that perhaps his cheeks were about to tear.

"I'm a journalist, you see, and I'm presently writing a column on the facilities within the Summer Camps throughout Scotland. You've been pinned for an inspection. Don't fret, it's nothing big. All I'll be doing is taking a walk around the area, analysing everything with my upmost awareness. I should be done no later than 1 o' clock, three hours from now. Is that OK?"

The old man, who had now heaved his chest forward, nodded his head. For a moment, Emily thought that maybe she had insulted him, and suddenly she began to feel awkward. But then he beamed another bright, red smile in reassurance that Emily never insulted him.

"Of course, by all means! All the children are in the main cabin having their breakfast as we speak - some were a little late on getting up this s'morning, (tut tut) - but everywhere else will be remote until 12 o' clock which is when activities start. I don't need to show you about," he laughed. "So, farewell, and make yourself at home, Granger Clark!" he winked, obviously remembering Emily from her days at the camp, then marched past her and entered the chaos that filled the dinner hall.

Emily sighed and walked around the cabins. Once she was out of sight of the human contact, she made her way down the heathery, and surprisingly dry, fields. She crossed a bridge which overshadowed a remote river bank. Emily knew where to go. On the front page, where it said, 'SCG 2001', there was a note squeezed in beside the numbers. 'The Meadow'. Emily made her way through the trees and after a few memorable steps past a pond, she came across the meadow. The meadow looked more radiant than ever. It was warm out, the sun was hiding behind the broken bracken of the trees. Emily hoisted herself against a wide, un-billowing tree and opened up the book. As she read the first few lines, she could immediately picture every single detail as if it were truly happening in front of her - all over again.

"Would you dance if I asked you to dance?"

"I hate camp! Why do we need to go to camp?" I grumbled, slouching back on the backseat of mum's car.

"Would you cry if you saw me crying?"

"Aw, come on Rubz! You used to love camp!" Mum barked over the radio.

"Would you tremble if I touched your lips?"

I couldn't believe mum was actually sending me to camp when I was fifteen years old. Being caged within a summer camp for six weeks, almost the entire summer, would have sounded appealing to me back in first year. Others my age were hanging out by the lake district back home, not going to summer camps for ten year olds.

"Now would you die for the one you love?"

"Maybe I enjoyed camp when I was like, what, ten or something?" I stretched forward and took my bottle of water out of the pouch from the back of the front driver’s seat. Emily still remained to sing along to the radio, fluttering her eyelids and acting as if she was Jennifer Love Hewitt from in the music video Hero.

"You'll enjoy it. It's been renovated and everything. I heard from your Aunt Chrystal that they've refurbished the music room. You like singing, don't you, Ruby?"

"I CAN BE YOUR HERO BABY!"

"Emily!" I slapped her across her head, spamming her forehead. She popped her eyes out at me and for a second she remained to appear shocked, but once I shot her a smug smile in triumph, she began attacking me. Of course, I retaliated and of course, I won. Like always.