Chapter 8.

Lydia Quinn.•*

"What was that?" Iris asks, her face full with curiosity and a big smile on her face.

"He just came over to bring me chocolate cake because he realised that I really liked it when we went to the cafe, and he was telling me that he was craving to kiss me and I-" I say, but I stop.

Her mouth is dropped, "Woah," She says as she sits on the couch, and I sit beside her, she turns and looks at me, her face full of happiness and joy. "You guys are a thing?!" She says, and claps her hands excited.

"What-" I say, "No," I shake my head and she squeezes her eyes and looks at me with a sarcastic grin in her face. "We're not!" I say, and she continues to give me that grin.

I zone out and I'm thinking about that moment again. He's craving to kiss me. Holy Jesus.

"You're thinking of him!" She says, smiling like a idiot. "Okay, maybe I am. So what?" I say and find myself smiling. "You guys would look so good together-" She starts but I already give her the confused look.

"Okay, sorry." She says and falls back to the couch, "Okay, I agree, maybe we would really look good together." I let out and she immediately lets out a laugh. "Oh Lyds, you're falling for him my friend." She says and I smile.

Maybe I am.

But its a little bit too soon to say that I'm in love with him.

"Why did you want to meet?" She asks as she stopped laughing, and I take a moment to prepare what I'm going to say. "My dad called." I say and I can see that immediately rage goes through her whole body.

"Him again?" She asks, "Doesn't he has a little bit of pity self and embarrassment?"

"I guess no." I reply, and play with my fingers nervously. "What did he want?" She says, as she sits up, her body turned towards me. "Money," I say, and I kind of feel like crying.

"Lydia," She says as she grabs my hand. "You have to stay strong. For your mom. But for yourself mostly." She says and I nod. Forcing a smile.

"Don't force a smile on me, I've known your for years. You can't hide from me." She says and I just don't talk. I just look forwards. Making no eye contact with her.

"Its more than okay to be upset about this," She adds, and I feel a kind of ache in my heart. "You know what hurts the most?" I say, and anger leaves my voice. She just looks at me, giving me a nod that reassures me that she's here to listen to me.

"He's my fucking dad! My fucking dad! When you have a child you're supposed to be filled with every good feeling. Because you just created a human with the person you chose to spend the rest of your life with! I was sick, and he never visited when I was hospitalised due to my temperature, because he didn't have even the courage to wake up because he was addicted and messed up." I say, all my feelings attacking every inch of my memories.

"It's not that I was dying, or that I was serious sick, but he was my dad. My dad is supposed to be my home. My dad is supposed to be the man that helps through all my problems and the man who protects me from the monsters of this world. Not me having to protect him from his own addiction." I let the words slip my mouth, sadness overwhelming me.

"And I hate him. Because he destroyed every bit of hope I had in him. He only calls me when he wants money. Can you actually imagine that?" I say, and let out a cold laugh. My tears betraying my thoughts and eventually falling. "And that's barely once a year."

"I'm so sorry, Lyds," Iris says, and her face is full of sympathy, "Its okay. Some people just don't deserve to be parents." I say, wiping away my tears and Iris wraps her hands around me and hugs me. And I melt into her touch. I really needed that hug.