Belly of the Beast

Start from the beginning

"Some night, huh?" Vax said walking next to him and resting his own hands down on the rail. 

"Unforgettable," Scanlan murmured. 

"Have you ever... Ah, it's stupid, never mind," Vax dismissed.  

Scanlan sat up noticing Vax's behavior, "No, go ahead." 

"Well... Have you ever... had your life change, and... you don't know what comes next?"

"Since we've all been together? Daily. Change is constant."

"Running's always been my answer," Vax said leaning on the rail. Scanlan let out a sigh.

"I'm starting to think that, yeah, the worst things in life come from fear, but...," He pulled out the sword from his side in front of him staring down at it. "Maybe the best things do, too. You don't get to choose your part in the play, but a true performer commits anyway." 

He looked over to Vax realizing he had rambled, "Oh, uh, sorry. Th-This isn't helpful."

Vax thought back to the Raven Queen and her callings for him. "You're saying you can't let fear hold you back." 

"I-I guess I am," he smiled at Vax, "Take the plunge."

Vax smiled back at him as they both looked up at the night sky. The stars shone brightly down upon them. 

He knew what he needed to do.

------------------------------------------

The next morning a few hours past dawn but before noon, Vox Machina and the remaining members of the herd gathered around. Athena stood by Percy as they both come up with the plan. A combination of their areas of expertise. Percy was setting up his model trap as Grog slammed down a knife into the table to start the meeting. 

"Right. Listen up. If we're going up against a dragon, we need a good plan."

A long pause of silence occurred as everyone stared at Grog. A man coughed in the back being the only form of noise. Zanor who was standing beside Grog spoke up, "So... do you, uh... have one?" 

"Have one what?" 

"Perhaps I can be of assistance," Percy stepped in. "For starters, a dragon has an aerial advantage, so it's vital we keep it grounded. Now, I was thinking we implement Gersh's law...," The mention of something scientific caused everyone to groan. "...of opposing forces and set a trap that requires our enemy to activate. Obviously, we would need a few fail-safes, but I think if we had the proper materials, here's how it could be done."

As Percy continued overexplaining his trap to the herd, Vex noticed her brother making a quiet exit from the room. Her eyebrows furrowed as she watched him close the door. 

The wind brushed past Vax lifting his cap in the air as he walked through the remaining temple district of Westrunn. The presence of ravens became more apparent as he headed toward his destination. 

The looming raven skull adorned the black stonework of the Raven Queen's temple. Dead plant life wrapped around the entrance with gold detailing brushed around the stones. Tombstones surround the entire temple grounds. 

Vax let out a breath, "You can come out, Vex. I heard you four blocks ago."

He turned around as Vex stepped out from behind a pillar in the graveyard. "Ugh, don't flatter yourself. I wasn't the one making that racket," she said. "Athena, dear. You can come out now."

Athena walked out from behind a stone wall surrounding the temple grounds a few feet away from them. "Listen, I am wearing practically a full suit of armor now. You should be impressed that I didn't cause more than I did."