Those Who Walk Away

Warnings: Strong and Sexual Language; Violence, Gore & Death.

"No, No, No, No," Athena cried as she ran. 

Vex dropped down to the ground. Something came out of the casket and struck her down. Vex let out a faint gasp as she rolled over. The color disappeared from her eyes. Trinket roared as his mistress was gone.

Everyone turned around and saw Vex collapse on the ground. Athena was now holding her, trying to wake her up.

"Vax! Get your ass up here!" Scanlan cried as they all ran over to them. Percy too ran over still trying to comprehend what had happened. He didn't mean for this to happen.

"Vex, please. Wake up!" Athena shouted as she shook Vex. Nothing was happening.

 "I was gone for 30 seconds. What the hell happened?" Vax asked after he climbed back up the rope. He turned in the direction of the shouting to see everyone surrounding his sister who lay on the ground, motionless. 

"Vex!" He sobbed as ran over to her, holding her into him. Tears cascaded down his face as he cried. It was happening all over again.

"Sister."

Keyleth was sobbing now, realizing the gravity of the situation. "Pike, heal her!" she begged. Pike lifted her hand, glowing in its radiant magic but nothing happened again.

"There's....nothing to heal," Pike sorrowfully told as tears pooled in her eyes. 

Athena's heart sank so deep, "No there can't be nothing. She was-was...struck with some kind of blast, there has to be something we can do."

"Somebody do something!" Vax cried. 

"Let me see her."

Kashaw and Zahra appeared beside them with Kash bending down. Vax placed Vex into his arms as he examined her. "We could try resurrecting her," he said. 

"A revival rite? I-I've never tried that before," Pike said as Kash placed her down, summoning his spear and marking the ground in runes.

"Yeah, not many have. It's hard as hell to pull off, so we got to do it while the body's still warm. Here. Help me." Vax was pulled away from his sister as Kash finished marking the runes around Vex. 

 "Here we go," Kash sighed. 

"This can't be happening. Who was with her?" Vax demanded. Percy turned away, the guilt already eating him alive. Kashaw slammed his hands into the ground, the runes coming to life. A golden aura began to encase Vex as the spell crackled, lifting her body into the air. Pike's hand glowed as she aided in the spell. 

"She's gonna owe me big-time for this... if it works," Kashaw strained, sweat dripping down his face as both he and Pike tried to maintain the spell. 

Athena pulled out a pendant. She brushed off the dust with her thumb, allowing the scales to be seen after many years. She placed the pendant on her forehead.

"Please, Lawbearer, help them. I'll do whatever you want just please save her!" she prayed. Her head was struck with pain again. 

"I'm sorry, my child. There's nothing I can do here."

"Spell's not holding," Kashaw shouted. 

"Come on. No. It's not working," Pike cried as the runes began to flicker.

"Cause we're inside her temple. This is the domain of the Matron of Ravens. She's too fucking strong." 

"Our gods have no authority here," Pike realized.