You Don't Talk Nonsense, Children (3)

Start from the beginning

"The guy did a bad thing."

"I know, but...why should they have to suffer for his sins?"

Edward's eyes moved down before returning to Matthew's face. His stare was soft, aching to fully understand.

Matthew ran his down Lloyd's fender, turning away. "You didn't have to come, Mr. Reyes," he muttered. "I could've driven the awful little Prius and suffered with front-wheel drive, cursing the world and making everyone sick." He paused, softly smirking. "You didn't have to come."

Edward shrugged. "I didn't, but I wanted to. I take the things I offer seriously, I hope you realize." He glanced back towards the waiting room, watching as Eli explained, again, what a Bunyip was to the receptionist. "And you're right; your kids are weird and kind of amazing. I like them. Even Audrey." He turned back to Matt. "Not many people can be friends with their exes."

"We're not friends. It's..." Complicated. Weird and gray with no clear-cut answer. With everything that had happened, Matthew was certain they were less colleagues and more "uncomfortable acquaintances". Never would he consider them 'friends' after this. "...a long story."

"I know," Edward chuckled. "It usually is with you, Mr. Robinson."

Matthew raised a brow. "You really are just throwing out the thinly-veiled insults today, aren't you?"

He laughed, his green eyes sparkling. "I swear, I'm not. I just..." His smile softened. "I don't know. I feel like, in spite of everything, I know you better now. You're not just some cute guy who almost stabbed me at the grocery store. You're...Matt."

Turning away, Matthew could feel his ears growing warm.

"But, thank you for keeping me updated on Lloyd, too. I asked, and you did." Edward bobbed his shoulders. "I really appreciate it. I – Oh! And, aaaaaaaand...I picked a name for my truck!" He threw his arms outstretched, hands shaking like a cheerleader. "Want to know it?"

Matthew raised a brow. "I feel like I might regret this."

"You probably will," he laughed. "I...decided to name her Grace. I was going to name it Matt, because it's a little beat up, shifts real nice, and is real great to look at – "

"Wow, you just can't stop yourself, can you?" Matthew found himself smirking.

" – but...you were right." Edward glanced down, an easy smile still on his face. "I wasn't being sentimental enough. No, I was just being stupid. I like her, but I kept reminding myself over and over about all that money my dad sank into her, the money I was sinking into her, and not much else." He met Matthew's stare again. "She isn't a 'Petunia'. She...just, she's a 'Grace'. I look at her, and I think about how stupid I was that I didn't notice it." Edward shrugged again. "I just wasn't listening to her, really."

Matthew gave up; he snorted, covering his smile. "I'm not sure whether to be offended or surprised you listened to me."

He shrugged. "I told you. You're...so smart, driven, and cute."

He was tempted to remind Edward that he forgot to add, "And I hate myself." He didn't.

Edward stared, pushing off from the car lift support. He swallowed, a contemplative look on his face, chased away only with a light chuckle, that easy smile returning. "...you're confusing, Mr. Robinson."

"...Matt."

He cocked a brow. "First name basis? Already? You've scandalized me." Edward grinned.

Matthew held the other man's gaze. "I believe you said something about me being confusing."

Edward's easy smile stayed. Grew at Matthew's response. The gentle flush of pink adorned his cheeks. "I feel like we need to be somewhere private for this conversation. This feels so...personal."

"I invited you to, basically, at a car hospital to see my beloved Bug, and you told me you named your catfish of a truck. What's personal about that?"

Edward laughed again. "She does have that face, doesn't she?"

"Matt!" Lilly called. "Stop talking! I wanna get home for Mr. Auborine's amputation!"

"And I need to sterilize!" Eli shouted. "Her bear's got three cases of aneptocymia and I need to save his life!"

Matthew sighed, covering his eyes as he snorted again.

"'Aneptocymia'?" the other man asked.

"Most definitely not real."

Edward tugged gently on Matthew's arm. "Okay, I don't know what they're talking about but I need to see this."

Glancing back towards Lloyd, Matthew mouthed, "I'll be back, I promise." and followed Edward back towards his catfish-fronted truck, now covered in a light dusting of snow.

He never realized Edward had a sprinkling of freckles on the back of his neck.