Sometimes, We Need Discipline (2)

Matthew moved his gaze to Yang, forcing a snarled smile onto his lips. He folded his hands behind his back. "I let the children know beforehand that we were not going to be buying anything, just to look. Elliot was hoping that I'd be swayed to buy a herbology book for him."

Mr. Yang stood. "It's a herbology book. What difference does it make if he got it?"

Cocking his head to the side, Matthew retained his grin. "For starters, he didn't earn it. Secondly, I'm not going to be indulging the children like this just because I can. And thirdly, I believe this was one of the behaviors you wanted me to curb."

His eyes widened for a moment.

"Curb?" the girl asked, stepping back from her father. "Like, like, driving? What does that mean?"

Letting out a breathless chuckle, Yang kneeled again. "Lilliana, to...to 'curb' somethin –"

"'Curb', in the way I used it, means to keep something in check or to stop it, Lilly," he interrupted, kneeling to meet her eyes. "One of the things your father asked me to do is get Elliot to stop reading about satanic rituals, ancient gods, and everything like that."

Lilly stepped back, her hands falling away from his. "No, nwhy?"

He didn't answer. Mr. Yang didn't have time to answer, either.

"Bu – but i-it wasn't his fault. It wasn't his fault, though! It was Matt!"

Matthew stood. "Lilliana Yang, you and I both know that we weren't going to be buying anything."

"He wanted it!"

He turned back to the groceries and started unloading them. "Well, maybe the next time we're there, we get it, but it depends on how both of you guys are doing. Does that sound fair?"

"No!"

"Mr. Rob –"

"Well, then maybe we can try another bookstore," he continued, tone calm and level. "I can always order it online for his birthday, too."

"It wasn't his fault!" she insisted.

"Look me in the eyes and tell me the scratches on my arm and face are not his fault." His voice came out so low it surprised even Matthew. Enough was enough.

Lilliana stepped back.

Matthew glared. He turned away and started unpacking the groceries. "Sorry for raising my voice like that," he said, tone returned to normal; he smiled. "However, Lilly, I'm not going to apologize for standing by my word. I said I wasn't going to buy anything, and we didn't."

"But it wasn't his fault!" Hands balled into fists, Lilly turned her eyes back and forth between her father and her nanny before turning away, running towards the living room.

"Lilliana Yang, if I see you by your cousin, there will be consequences!" Matthew called after her, rolling a plastic bag in his hands. Eyeing the older man, he added, "I use these for the trash cans in the bathrooms, so rest assured, they get put to good use."

A door slammed shut.

Mr. Yang stood and turned to Matthew, his arms crossed. "May I ask what that was, Mr. Robinson?"

"I can't answer that fully, sir, but it does paint a good picture of why everyone quit so quickly." Turning his eyes towards his employer, he continued, "On top of the workload you've asking everyone to take on, you have one child with the emotional maturity of a four-year-old, and another that is more than willing to not only redirect the blame for them but also throw the nanny under the bus." Matthew started removing the dry goods. "Great combo."

"They were not like this before you came, I can assure you," Yang replied coolly.

Matthew laughed, which was so severely misplaced. "Oh no, sir. I can assure you, they were like this before I got here. That kind of behavior is learned over time, reinforced because it's taught them that it works. I don't believe those kinds of outbursts can be absorbed over four days." His eyes narrowed, and he continued, "Regardless of behavior, good or bad, I said I wouldn't buy them anything, and I stuck to what I said."

"It's a book," he noted.

"I will not coddle them."

"It's not coddling, Mr. Robinson."

"Oh?" Matthew took a step back. "Is enabling Elliot's, as you've so kindly put it, 'satanic witchcraft' interests despite what you want from me coddling?"

The man's jaw clenched. "It was a herbol –"

"Answer the question. Is it coddling to let them have everything they want in a store?"

"I – yes, howev –"

"Is it coddling to never say 'no' to them?"

"I don't believe –"

"I will not coddle them, Mr. Yang." He took in a steady breath. "No matter how your personal feelings contradict what you're asking me to do."

The man straightened his tie, promptly smoothing his blazer in one flawless swoop. His fingertips gently tucked up the hair combed over his head. "I have a call now."

Matthew, satisfied, smiled. "I'll be sure to keep the kids quiet for you. Is there anything else I can do for you?" Yet before the man could answer, he continued, "I need to go check on Elliot." He pushed passed him, a confused, stunned look written across his employer's face. At the entrance to the dining room, he paused, taking in a slow breath. "...you did well, by the way," he added.

Mr. Yang turned to him.

"When Lilly came up to you." He turned, his eyes on the floor. "You recognized she was upset. You got down on her level, and you listened to her." Matthew paused. "Most parents I've met stare down at their kids, or don't have the time to hear them out." His gray eyes met Yang's, and he offered a weak smile. "You know...regardless of any frustrations I may have, it's... it's obvious to me that you love them." He shook his head. "And I have no reason to question that." He, however, had every reason to despise it.

The man's eyes narrowed. His stare softened.

Elliot wailed upstairs.

Matthew drew in a breath and turned away, Pursing his lips, he proceeded towards the ramp up to the second floor, duck band-aids in hand, leaving Mr. Yang in his wake.