ೃ⁀➷ 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘

Start from the beginning

she had changed once she arrived home, into a long satin nightshirt. it had bright exotic patterns on it. she had the shorts to match, they had a little parrot sewn on.

marie was writing lyrics for a few new songs. she liked to do it every once in a while. she had stolen one of the lyrics from elvis' songbook. she was snooping in his trailer one afternoon and found it.

"one for the money." she dragged out the 'money' part, singing melodically. "and two for the show." she did the same with the word 'show'.

it was extremely quiet at graceland. the maids who didn't live there had been dismissed for the evening. the others were downstairs in the 'maids common room'.

everyone else was at the russwood gig. even marie's own father was there. the windows were all open, a slight breeze was coming through flickering the lit fire in the fireplace.

marie was enjoying the quiet. it was the most silent her life had been in months. she stopped for a moment, taking everything in. the throw against her bare skin, the fire crackling, the breeze brushing past her ears.

marie went up to the bar and fixed herself a small drink. it was a 'shirley temple', with a shot of vodka mixed in.

before she could even sit back down, she heard commotion from outside the front door. blue and red flashing lights shone bright into her eyes. people were cursing and bickering.

marie watched as the maids ran up from the common room. she caught darla by her arm. "do you know what's happening?"

"i can't say i do miss booker." darla said, rushing of to gather with the other maids.

BANG!

someone swung the door open, hitting the wall behind it. as soon as the door opened, nearly thirty people began to trail in, pushing and shoving past marie.

she stood on her tip-toes trying to see her father, or even elvis. she stood on the stairs and watched as elvis shoved past everyone and made his way down to the jungle room.

the colonel, gladys and vernon all followed suit. slamming the door on anybody that tried to follow them.

the quiet night had disappeared. everyone was shouting and arguing. she noticed nina, and called out to her.

nina looked around, trying to see who it was. she shrugged when she couldn't see and joined the rest of her family in the downstairs.

marie sat on the stairs, feeling defeated. anyone she tried to talk to practically ignored her. she leant her head on her hand.

after a while, billy spotted her and came to sit down. "marie? you okay? you heard what happened right?"

"no. i didn't actually. everyone's been brushing me away." marie said, blowing a strand of hair out of her face. she had a slight headache from her hairstyle.

"oh!" billy looked eager to tell the story. "EP sung 'trouble'! he got up on that stage with all his moves and sung it! bu-but then he was bein' dragged of stage, a couple of cops had him by the arms!" billy took a breath before continuing. "all the white folk and black folk were dancin' together, n' the coppers did not like it one bit. they were beating an' swearin'. even i got put in a cop car!"

marie's mouth hung wide open. she was utterly speechless. that's why he didn't want her there. 'trouble!' she thought, that's what he meant earlier. "oh my goodness. is everyone okay?" marie turned to face billy.

"i-i think so.. my mama and daddy aren't happy though. s-sayin' they wanna sue!" billy scoffed, he almost seemed excited. "marie you should go see him, they'll let you down there."

marie nodded and stood up. "i'll go down there now. i sure hope you're okay bill." she smiled and walked down the stairs, trying not to push or shove anyone.

she walked down the short flight into the jungle room. she stood by the door for a minute. she could hear stern voices. everyone was talking at once. all except elvis.

she heard the plucking of a guitar. she assumed it was him. marie knocked slightly and opened the door.

gladys' looked up and internally groaned, taking a sip of whatever drink she had stuffed in the paper bag. a liquor most likely, marie still had her own 'shirley temple' in one hand.

elvis immediately looked up. the colonel looked over too. "ah, miss marie. now isn't the time.. family business... family business." he tried pushing her out with his cane. elvis stood up and came to the door.

"marie i'll come an' talk to you later. let me deal with this." he said giving her the tiniest smile.

"i just hope you're okay E. billy told me what happened." her eyes were round and full of concern.

"we are all fine. now go. the colonel will only get more annoyed."

"mr. elvis!" the colonel shouted almost scolding him.

"i'll see you later E."

"i'll see you later darlin'."