Chapter Twenty One

Hey guys... so the last chapter was kind of sad... huh? I hate to say this but for a while, the story will be a little sad. The cheery, happy, bright Kiley isn't there to make everyone happy!!! :( But please read! This story is about to get interesting! :D

Love ya! Enjoy!!!

Chapter Twenty One

"Basia... What does the letter say?" I vaguely hear Callum say. My eyes are glued to the back of the retreating man. The man that is now twirling the stake around as if he has no care in the world. He will hurt Callum. I cannot allow that to happen. He is my mate and I will protect him with my life. Even if it means losing myself in the process. 

My eyes finally move to Callum and I see his torn, anguished expression. "Sweetheart? What does it say?" His tone is soft and light. He speaks to me as if he is addressing a child. I glance down at the letter in my hand and grit my teeth. My father is a horrible man. He has caused such pain in my life, I don't understand how he can live with himself. I mean, I'm gone! I left! Why does he insist on hunting me down to make me pay even more?! It's as if he blames me for my mothers death.

"Basia, give me the letter." Callum says, his voice getting a little more stern. I glare at him. He cannot see this letter. No matter what, I have to make sure he never sees it! When Callum advanced me, I take a step back and immediately shred the letter into pieces. Callum's eyes follow the pieces as they flutter to the ground. Then he looks at me with a hurt expression. I see betrayal as well. He believes I don't trust him. But the thing is, I trust him too much. He'll make me believe that I don't need to do what I must. 

"What did it say?" He asks through clenched teeth. I shake my head, not wanting him to worry. 

"Don't worry about it. It was just a rude comment about Kiley and how it was my fault." I say, my voice cracking as I hiccup at the end. Tears gather again but Callum reaches over to brush them away before they even escape. 

"No it is not." He says gently, cupping my cheek. 

"It is though. I wasn't paying attention. I was trying to get away from my brother! It is most definitely my fault!" I croak,  watching the ambulance drive away. Zee pushes away from the paramedics and walks over towards me, scratching the back of her neck.

"This is a nightmare. A complete, total nightmare. I will wake up and it will all be over." She says to herself, hyperventilating. I stare at my friend sympathetically. She has known Kiley for a long time, it will take her a long time to get over the loss of her friend. 

"You did this!" I hear someone yell. My head whips around to see a fuming William marching towards me with Luke and Nathan on his heels. They try to stop him but the rage William has over the loss of his mate is too powerful to be tamed. Before anyone could stop him, he is in front of me and he slaps me so hard, it sends me spiraling to the ground. I grunt in the slight pain but I know I deserved it. 

I hear Callum growl savagely as he grabs Willaim's neck in a vise grip. William snarls at Callum challengingly and I am surprised at his bravery. 

"You dare touch her?!" Callum roars. Zee cries as the sight and hugs Luke while Nathan is glaring harshly at the two angry vampires. I hop to my feet and run over to grab Callum's shoulder.

"Don't." I whisper to him, looking into his eyes pleadingly. Callum stares at me for a moment, his black eyes slowly shifting to their natural ocean blue. 

"He hit you." He tells. I roll my eyes. Yeah, I know. I can still feel the light sting. 

"But I also deserved it." Callum goes to argue but I cut him off. "Please let him go. I will not allow another person to die because of me." I mumble, tears brimming my eyes. Callum instantly drops him and gathers me in his arms, turning us so he is in between William and me. He folds his body around me, becoming my shield. 

"You killed her." William says in a broken, mournful voice. I move my head to look at him and give him sympathetic eyes. He glares right back at me.

"I loved Kiley. So much. She has brought me happiness and I would never, ever do anything to hurt her. I made a mistake and yes, it took the life of our friend and I am sorry. I would do anything, anything to get her back." I tell him. His eyes seem to soften a moment before they gleam with hope. 

"There is a way." I feel my eyes widen and my mouth fall open. Callum snarls, however, and holds me closer to his chest. 

"No." He snarls. I look up at him with confusion. 

"Why not?" I ask.

"You need to visit the Vampire King with Kiley. You offer him a trade." Callum's arms tighten at William's words. I am completely tuned into what he has to say. I'll trade anything... other than Callum. "He can bring Kiley back to life if you either give him your our life or the life of a disgraced vampire." I feel my eyebrows scrunch together in confusion.

"Disgraced vampire?"

"Vampires who threaten the human population and the vampire population. There are few, but your brother and father happen to fall under than category." I bite my bottom lip. I have to give the Vampire King my brother in exchange for Kiley's life. Sounds easy enough.

"Why does he have to kill someone else in order to bring Kiley back?" I ask. William shrugs.

"It creates balance. The Vampire King has a witch who wil give Kiley the Breath of Life the same moment someone kills the other vampire." The Breath of Life? What the heck is that? I nod at William's explaination.

"Simple enough. All we need to do is capture my brother and take him to the King." I shrug. When I see William scratch the back of his neck and hear Callum growl softly, I grow confused again. 

"No. That is not all. We have a small stitch in the situation." I raise an eyebrow, waiting for him to continue. "Callum's father didn't get permission to change you. Basia, you are a disgraced vampire. When the King meets you, he will hate you even more at the fact of giving someone else up to save your neck. He will kill-"

"Enough! Basia can never go to the palace. She can never see the King. He can never know she exists!" Callum snarls. William glares at my mate.

"Your close to the King, maybe-"

"It's the law to exterminate all disgraced vampires! If they know of her, they will hunt her down and kill her! She. Will. Not. Go!" Callum yells so loudly, my body shakes and runs cold. I try not to cry at his words. I am a shamed vampire. I'm not respected like Callum. I don't have permission to exist. The thought make my insides churn. 

"But I have to." I whisper. Callum turns his head to glare down at me.

"No." He says, shaking his head.

"Yes I do! Kiley is my friend! She gave me my lfie back by introducing me to you guys! I owe her this, Callum!" He frowns but again, shakes his head. 

"The last time you did something without my liking, you were killed. I will not lose you again." He reaches up to touch my cheek. I watch as his eyes soften and Callum looks so broken, so wounded that I slowly nod my head. I won't make him go through that again. But I will find a way to get Kiley back, no matter what that is. 

"Okay. I won't go."