chapter 08

"I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake, baby
Snap out of it"

Snap Out Of It - Arctic Monkeys

-

The following days were awkward, to say the least. Max and Daniel didn't talk to each other and they never even looked at each other. Christian was very confused as to what happened. When he asked Daniel, he just got an "Ask Max," and when he asked Max he just said "Nothing". How the hell was he supposed to make them work together if they didn't talk to each other and didn't even want to say why.

So he called them in for a meeting. Just the two of them. Max arrived first, then Daniel. When Daniel realized it was just going to be them he cursed.

"Sit down Daniel," Christian said and Daniel obeyed even though he didn't want to.

Christian looked at the two boys. "What is going on? You two were such good friends," he said, they didn't respond. "Normally I don't care if my drivers dislike someone, even if it is someone on the team. That's not my issue. However, it becomes my issue when two people I need to speak to each other, won't even look at each other."

They kept just looking down at their fingernails or their feet or something else.

"Max, you start."

"Uhm, I told you, it's noth-" Max tried.

"Oh don't give me that bullshit, it's not fucking nothing. Spit it out!" Christian said, tired of the lying and the not telling.

"I guess we had an argument about something..."

Christian looked at Daniel.

"I can't tell you much more if Max doesn't want to," Daniel explained.

"Fine, but you'll have to sort it out yourselves, then. I'm leaving and when you two come out you better be able to work together," Christian said and left.

Max and Daniel sat in silence for a while.

"I don't really have much more to say to you, I don't think I was in the wrong. But, by all means, if you can explain properly what you think I did wrong, I'll listen," Daniel said.

Max sighed. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"Then why were you mad at me?"

Max shrugged.

"I'm so tired of this," Daniel said and rolled his eyes.

They kept sitting in silence.

"Christian isn't gonna let this slide if we get out and keep acting like we have. If you can't fucking man up and tell me what's bothering you, then can you at least pretend like we're fine?" Daniel said.

Max nodded.

"And we're not friends, by the way. We are just colleagues that can work together," Daniel said strictly.

And the agreement worked. Max and Daniel were able to talk to each other, only with professional matters, but still, they talked. They didn't fool anyone, though. Christian clearly sensed that they hadn't become friends again. They didn't smile, laugh and joke like they used to. However, he figured as long as they can work together he wouldn't say anything about it.