Chapter VIII: Dear Fae Maiden

Pronunciations - 

1. FRAYDIS: Fray-Dis 

2. STAVROS LINNAE: Stav-Rose  Lin-Nay     

3. JARGON: J-Argon (J of Bonjour)                        

 JARGON: J-Argon (J of Bonjour)                        

"Your Grace, I believe you must inform the king of your child soon," Freydis said as she lit the candles inside Lady Pomona's room. "The palace folk are beginning to talk."

"Rumors, you say?" the queen asked. "Why is that?"

"Your Grace, you haven't had a sip of wine lately, and many believe it's because you haven't bled in almost a month."

"I'm surprised people notice such minor details. I was unaware of having such... diligent audiences."

"You are the queen, Grace. Besides, I'm quite certain that His Highness has spies all over. I was told by one of the maids," Freydis said. "More water, Your Grace?"

"I'm alright, thank you, Freydis."

The queen placed her hand on her belly, feeling the presence of her unborn child. "Do you believe in magic or premonition, Freydis?"

"Magic? Well, that depends, Your Grace. I was taught that magic is present in all of us. It is a mere belief, though... However, premonitions can't be true. The future is why mankind exists at all."

"I suppose that's a nicer way to put it... Is there a reason why you believe so?"

"Your Grace, I..." her voice trailed off, as if a sudden realization had struck her.

It had.

"No, Your Grace."

"Freydis? Is something wrong?" Pomona asked, noticing her usually chatty handmaiden refusing to speak. Freydis often kept her updated on all the gossip going around both the town and within the palace walls. Pomona didn't discourage it. For her, Freydis was the first source of information. Besides that, she also knew that it was part of Freydis's nature, as Freydis belonged to the now fallen Fae folk.

Freydis' optimistic green eyes showed a tinge of despair and a lot more fear. Fae folk are known to be joyous and loving, so to see their charming selves drown in despair was said to be the first sign of serious trouble.

"No, Your Grace. I mustn't. I'd hate to sound ungrateful."

"This has got to do with your mark, isn't it?"

Freydis stood still, as if frozen in place. She had hoped she'd never have to speak of the incidents involving the Perigwyns. It was too much pain, even for her.

"Your Grace, a wise man once told me that I was magic. He knew I was a Fae, so it does make sense that he'd say so. He always said that my magic would be the reason I would see the moon and the stars."