Chapter 4: The Silent Librarian

Start from the beginning

"Y/N," you said with a slightly timid tone.

She chuckled, her white, pearly teeth revealing themselves. "Such an adorable name for a new maiden like you." The girl returned her face to her book, a smile spreading over her lips. With a faint smile, you shifted your attention to the book she recommended to you. As you went through the pages, you discovered it was quite interesting. While you were reading the novel, you noticed small, soft a giggles from the opposite side. With a small glance over the cover, you saw Daniela smiling with an infectious grin as she read her little book. Although you didn't mind, it went on for a while, and you started to wonder why she was giggling to herself. "What are you reading?" you asked out of curiosity.

"I'm reading this joke book, so I can tell jokes to mother.." She says while laughing loudly

"Oh, now I am curious. Tell me one." You said with a curious chuckle, adjusting yourself on the white-arm couch.

She wiped her bubbly tears from the corners of her eyes from her own laughter. "Alrigh, alright! Uhm, what do you call a tiny mother?" She read the joke before glancing back at you.

You thought with a small shrug. "Uh, I don't know."

"A minimum!"

You laughed along with her, knowing the joke was actually not so funny at all, but you didn't want to make her feel bad when you saw how joyful she was telling them. "That's pretty funny," you said with a small chuckle, watching as she kept laughing without an end.

She nodded cheerfully as she spoke. "I've got another one, do you want to hear it?"

"Oh, yeah, sure." You said with a broad smile, her infectious laugh wandering over yours.

"What do you call a sad coffee?" she asked with a smile.

"I have no clue." You shrug your shoulders, glancing up at her.

"A depresso.." She laughed like crazy almost falling from couch. You laughed and face palmed yourself while laughing. Suddenly you heard the library doors swing open, you looked at the door as you heard them open you saw the lady bending down the doorframe. Daniela stopped laughing like a hyena and looked up to her mother as she entered the library.

"Oh, hi, Mother!" Daniela smiled broadly, waving her hand.

The lady sighed softly as she approached you both by the lounge. "There you are, darling. I apologize for interrupting your little party over here." She casted a quick bold glance at you. "But do you know what time it is, sweetheart?" she asked Daniela, resting her hands on her hips.

You looked up at the grandfather clock and realized it was already late in the evening. You gazed your eyes anxiously back at the lady, realizing you'd been laughing quite loudly this late. "Oh, I'm sorry, Mother. I was just having fun with our new maiden." Daniela answered with a smile, returning her glance to you.

"I know, darling. But it's late.. I can hear you from my chamber, Daniela." She gave Daniela a slight stern face.

Daniela sighed softly with a nod, placing her little joke book on the table. "I'm sorry, Mother." You watched the lady give Daniela a gentle kiss on the head before she walked to the library door, waving her hand to you. "Night, night, Y/N!" she whispered with an adoring smile, closing the double door behind her, leaving you and the lady alone in the library.

The lady returned her gaze to you as she watched the door close. "I haven't heard her sweet giggles in a such long time," she said, observing you as you stood up from the couch and placed the recommended book alongside Daniela's joke book on the round table.

"I'm glad I could've spent time with her." You smiled timidly, keeping your eyes away from the lady's.

"You should return to your room, I don't allow wandering this late at night, understood?" She glanced down at you as she spoke firmly.

You nodded with a nervous tone. "Yes, my lady. I understand."

"Good, you may leave for now."

You nodded your head, and with quick steps, you walked to the library door, carefully closing the door behind you. You looked around the halls, which appeared more eerie at night than you expected. With a hurry, you returned to your room, which you remembered was on the castle's second floor of the castle. You closed your bedroom door with the small key and set it aside on your nightstand. Although it was already late, you didn't feel completely tired yet, so you decided to light up some candles Catalin gave you earlier as you glanced at your desk. You walked into your bathroom and felt somewhat relieved, as the bathroom wasn't as spacious as the lady's, which meant less cleaning for you.

The bathroom contained a main tub in the corner and a long white marble counter that ran along the wall, with a large mirror above it. Surprisingly, even the polished sink seemed expensive. Now as you peered around, it felt more like a five-star hotel stay than your own private bedroom. You were expecting to sleep in the dusty, freezing basements on a little mattress, as everyone in the village had rumored for decades.

You turned on the crane and let the water to fill the tub while you undressed, neatly folding your uniform on top of the counter. While you waited for the tub to fill, you looked in the mirror and adjusted your hair. As you did so, a small, unfamiliar item in the corner of your eye attracted your attention from the mirror. You raised an eyebrow at the small glass bottle, knowing full well that it had not been there before Catalin showed you around.

You took the small golden bottle and looked at the white label. 'Sweet orange,' you read, quickly realizing that it was the bottle you had used for lady's bath earlier today. You dropped a few drops of the sweet oil into the warm bath with a confused look on your face. A sweet, relaxing scent filled the bathroom as you carefully stepped into the bathtub, letting out a deep sigh as you lay your head against the tub's edge. 

"It smells like her.." You said to yourself relaxing your body in the nice tub. Now that you think about it, it wasn't that bad after all.

After what felt like a good amount of relaxation in the bathtub, you finally got out and wrapped yourself in a soft towel. You wandered over to your new closet, leaving the bathtub to drain. You opened the first drawer and pulled out a silky white nightgown Loana had left for you. You hung the damp towel on the rack and brushed your teeth by the sink before snuggling into the new fresh, soft covers.

Doing all this, only one thing wandered in your mind. What exactly was it that kept you thinking about her? You were well aware that she looked charming and glamorous in her graceful form, but it seemed strange knowing that you had only just met her, so why did you even continue thinking about your lady when she was technically your boss and a countess at the same time?

'I wonder what her name is.' You thought to yourself, adjusting your pillow with curiosity. With a soft sigh, you inhaled the fresh scent of the sheets, as she was the last thing you thought about before you drifted away into your sleep.