15 - The Desperado

Start from the beginning

Pervert.

*****

I am brilliant!

I am master of the broom, slayer of dragons. Merlin, stick a fork in me, for I am done.

"I didn't know you could fly!" Pansy squeals as she jumps up and down holding my hands.

We are in the common room, having one of our epic Slytherin parties. Despite not drinking a drop of alcohol, I feel drunk with adrenaline, on a high after my dragon face off.

An arm draps around my shoulders. "Anyone can fly, Pansy," Draco drawls, his grey eyes flashing down at me. "But only a decent teacher can teach someone skills like that. Good performance out there, Potter."

"Cheers, Teach," I grin, my heart fluttering as he squeezes me to his side.

I am so happy, I didn't think it was ever possible to feel this way. I cannot wait to write to Dudley and tell him all about how I outscored all the other Champions, making me literally the best.

But for now I enjoy the moment, being with my friends and silently praying that nothing will come along and change everything.

*****

"I've got to find a date?!"

I stare at Snape in absolute horror. He has just given me the news that there is to be some kind of Christmas Ball and it is imperative that all Champions take a date.

Snape curls his lip in distaste. "Believe me, I have tried to get you exempt from this ridiculous charade seing as you are not a real Champion, but Dumbledore insists. It is tradition for the Ball to open with the Champions dance. And this can only be done with a partner."

Oh crap. My heart thuds loudly against my ribcage as I try and imagine asking someone out on a date.

But it's okay, I decide, as I hurry down to the Great Hall for dinner. I'll ask Draco - we can go as friends, and we can have a good laugh about dancing together.

By the time I reach the Great Hall, I feel calm - relieved that I have a plan.

From the snatches of conversation I hear as I stride over to the Slytherin table, everyone in the Hall already seems to know about this Ball.

"I've already got my dress - it's simply to die for!"

"Do you think Longbottom has a date yet? I think he's cute."

"Apparently Krum is already taken - lucky bitch."

I quicken my pace, suddenly nervous to secure Draco as my date.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'VE ALREADY ASKED PANSY?!"

Draco cowers in his seat as I yell down at him. This is not happening.

"You and me, we're just friends..." he stutters, fear flashing in his eyes, "And I thought it would be fun to... you know... date."

Wow, that kinda stung.

Panicking I turn to Blaise. "What about you? You'll be my date won't you?"