Two: God Chooses A Liberator

Moses lived on in the land of Midian. Away from those who raised him as an Egyptian, away from those he felt were his true people, the Hebrew slaves. He was tending the flock of his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. One particular day he led the flock to the far side of the desert. He came to a place called Horeb, which was also called the mountain of God. There an angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. ( The famous scene of the burning bush here represents how God can be anywhere and everywhere. Here he was a burning flame of fire set in a bush to get Moses' attention.) Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. Moses was enthralled by the strange sight of a bush that was burning but did not burn up so he went closer to get a better look. God then called from within the bush, "Moses, Moses!"

Moses answered, "Here I am."

God told him, "Do not come any closer. Take off your sandals, for the place you stand is holy ground." When Moses obeyed God said, "I am the God of your father, of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." At this Moses hid his face because he was afraid to look at God.

The Lord told Moses he had seen the misery of his people in Egypt. He had heard their cries for help, he was aware and concerned of their suffering. He said, "I have come to rescue them. I will bring them out of the land of their misery and lead them to a spacious land flowing with milk and honey. I have heard their cries for help and I want you to go to Pharaoh and inform him that you intend to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt."

Moses was confused. He didn't understand why God choose him for such an important task. He had big doubts about his ability to do what God asked of him. He didn't feel he would be a strong leader. He felt unworthy. He feared people would not trust him. He was shy about his speech difficulty, and he felt he was a sheer coward. He admitted his insecurities to God then asked, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the people out of bondage?"

God answered, "I will be with you."

Moses had so many doubts. He wanted to know what he should say when he approached the Israelites and told them he was there because their God had sent him, "What if they ask what is His name?" Moses wanted God to give him something concrete, proof that he was actually there because their God has sent him.

God said, "Tell them I am has sent you. The Lord, the God of your fathers Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham. Tell them I have seen what has been done to them in Egypt. I have promised to bring them up out of misery into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites - a land flowing with milk and honey.

"The elders of Israel will listen to you. Then you and the elders are to go up to the king and tell him that the Lord , the God of the Hebrews has met with you. Ask for permission to take a three-day journey into the desert to offer sacrifices to the Lord. You should be forewarned, the king will not allow you to go until my mighty hand compels him. I will stretch out my hand and strike the Egyptians with wonders that I will perform among them. After the plagues I send down, he will let you go."

God also told Moses, "I will make the Egyptians favorably disposed toward you so that you will not leave Egypt empty-handed. Every woman is to ask her Egyptian neighbor for silver and gold, and for articles of clothing that you will put on your sons and daughters. Before I am through you will plunder the Egyptians on your way out."

Moses was afraid to do what God was asking of him. He asked, "What if they don't believe me? What if they refuse to listen?"

God knew Moses, he knew his insecurities and everything else about him. ( He knows all of us intimately. ) God was already prepared to show miraculous signs to the people through Moses to allow him to gain their trust. He said, "Take your staff and throw it on the ground."