40 || Hit & Run

Double Update! Read this chapter after chapter 39!
Reminder: Read with Caution and have Tissues Around!

-Harry-

The fumes of a fire is inhaled in my nose. I cough repeatedly, feeling the smoke crushing my lungs.

As the car is upside down, I feel blood rushing to the base of my head. Looking to my right, Eulalia has her eyes closed, blood dripping from her head. I quickly unlock our hands that are still tied together, then I undo my seatbelt. My body crashes out and I crawl out of the broken window.

The crushed glass, the blazing hot sun, and the distant sirens blare are all blocked out because my main priority is to get Eulalia out of there. Everyone who has stopped for us are shouting, getting other peoples' attention. I ignore them and go to the other side, barely able to move, my chest hurts to even breath through.

Poking my head through the other window, I lean over to unbuckle her. I gently pull her out of the window, her head lays on my thighs, "come on, Love Dove, don't leave me." I murmur, holding her face and kissing her pale lips.

With my own exhaustion, I can barely stay awake.

In the corner of my eye I see a note, a familiar sticky note. I grab it, barely moving to grab it. My bloody fingers shake as I try to get it.

"Come on you little fucker," I mutter, huffing once the piece of paper rests between my fingertips.

Reading the slip, my stomach drops.

I'm always around but unseen. I'm often avoided but never outrun.  I might find you at the end of the road or even the next corner. What am I?

Unable to work it out, I shove it in my pocket. The sun burns, the heat of the car rises, and all I want to do is sleep.

I lean my body against the broken car, getting myself up. With my eyes closed, holding Eulalia in my hands, I drift off.

-Louis-

My feet are kicked up on my desk, I repeatedly throw the tennis ball against the wall and catch with my sturdy right hand, while my unlit cigarette dangles in my mouth.

My partner beside me is fast asleep when he's supposed to be watching out on the property cameras.

Bored, I twirl around my chair, squeezing the ball in my hand. My eyes mesmerize the room. Everyone is around their desks, the normal noise of coffee being poured, donuts being touched, chairs being squeaked, and the occasional noise of a worker shouting.

Slow at work, it's around noon and my stomach growls for food. Because the only type of "food" they call snacks at this damn place is junk like: donuts, cookies, brownie, etc. so I decide to go by the bathrooms where a vending machine is available to buy somewhat better choices. Though they are overpriced as shit, it's the only option.

Passing my fellow partners, I manage to zoom around the desks like it's an easy maze.

My shoes echo through the empty halls. I look at my options to see what I should get today. The trail mix is calling my name, but the only problem is, it's probably older than the lady up front who greets me every morning.

Pushing 'F2' on the vending machine, I shove in a dollar and fifty cents to order the trail mix anyways. Peeling open the bag, I shake some of it in my hand, and throw my head back as if I am taking a handful of pills. Chewing the stale peanuts, I walk back over to my desk and relax in the chair, where I sit once more doing absolute nothing.

Opening up my computer, my eyes gaze my last research to find out more details about our little friend Milo, who did not make it.

What a fucking shame.