05 || Drunk & Sober

-Eulalia-

As I sit in the back of the rented limo, my left-hand twiddles with the fabric of my skirt. I stare out the window. My open hand holds a champagne glass that my lips haven't touched since I have gotten it. There is music swirling out of speakers, soft voices speaking to one another, and I am sitting back against the leather seats, trying to think of why I agreed to Melina.

It's pretty irregular for me to be here. Parties, bars, and loud music with big crowds aren't my type. But when I go out once in a while, mainly because Melina wants to celebrate my wins or have a little bit of fun, I allow everyone else to get drunk, and I will sip my own nonalcoholic Shirley Temple.

Yesterday I worked hard, skating my heart out. And I was happy with my results. This now means I will be going to regionals. It hasn't been my first time, but every time I win, it's like a refresher of knowing I succeeded again.

This morning Melina called me, screaming with excitement. She told me we needed to go out and that I had no choice because she had already booked us (all of our friends) a limo.

The only reason Melina knows I passed is that my mom told her while at the bookstore. I didn't have enough time to say to her myself, which she understood because I was exhausted when going home.

Here I am, still thinking of everything about what could happen tonight. My plan is not to get drunk and stay sober. It is very rare for me to get drunk. It isn't my cup of tea to have an obnoxious amount of alcohol just to get hungover the following day.

Good for you if you want to get drunk. I am not stopping you but don't pressure me into having a drink that will soon push me into two, three, four, five, and now I'm drunk. It wasn't my idea when coming out. I only wanted to visit and make jokes with my friends. Yes, it's a bonus with toxic liquid, but it's harmful for a reason, and I don't want to be part of it. Someday I will, and you will have to hold onto that feeling for as long as you can because it might be a few months before I do it again.

Melina has never pushed me into having alcohol, but she will always push me into going out. She wants me to have fun, and I will appreciate it because my life would be incredibly dull if it weren't for her.

The car stops, and my eyes look at the cornered bar downtown. It's already dark out, dinner has passed, but I could use a snack.

"Let's go in!" Melina is rushing to get out, and I'm opening the door. I carefully crawl out of the low vehicle, trying not to trip on my heels. I stare, looking around to notice all the downtown lights shining bright.

All of our friends.

Ceci, short for Cecilia. She has beautiful dark skin, dark brown curly hair, and cute freckles. She reminds me of Melina in a way. Has the personality of always getting along with people, a 'don't give a fuck' attitude when it needs to be, and she cares for her friends and family. I met her through Melina; they met at a Christmas party.

Melina was dating one of her many exes, and Ceci was there, and they clicked. I haven't reached that part with Ceci yet, she's a fantastic friend, but when I'm around, I get scared. She has this power that I will never have and can intimidate me easily. But I will always be there for her. We both support each other.

Dawn, his nickname for Dawson. I met Dawson at a yoga class. He is very gay and is very open about it. When there is drama, he quickly eavesdrops and spills to us. He has the personality of a white, fluffy cat who is high maintenance. Pearls, pink Prada bags, and stripping on a strip pole for fun are what you'd expect from my friend Dawn. He changes his hair color every month and a new hairstyle to keep up with all the fashion trends.