18. {Akatimbuk 2}

Mineva's piercing gaze bore into Martin, who hugged even tighter his growling child, eyes scanning his sides that were surrounded by the tribe's guards. The atmosphere was tense as if the very air was thicker and strained with an invisible weight. The smell of burning sage clung to the humidity, mixing with the earthy scent of the damp ground. The trees around them stirred with restless energy, their leaves rustling with a foreboding whisper.

The child's growls echoed in the background like a warning, as if sensing the tension in the air. The ground beneath their feet seemed to vibrate with an unspoken energy as if the very earth itself was waiting for something to happen.

The moment hung in the air like a heavy cloak, threatening to suffocate them all with its weight. They waited, each breath held in anticipation, then
Minerva lowered her cane and a hush fell over the tribal guards. They stepped away, their eyes fixed on her as if they knew better than to cross her. But, when Minerva took a step forward, a sound of protest rose from the crowd, but she silenced them with a single glance.

With the air now less tensioned, Martin loosened his hold over his squirming child, his face contorted with worry and desperation.

Minerva approached him with a slow, deliberate pace. Her eyes narrowed as she studied Martin and the child as if weighing them in her mind.

Finally, she spoke, her voice low and commanding. "Follow me," she said, and Martin had no choice but to obey.

They walked through the village, past the huts and the fires, until they arrived at Minerva's hut. Inside, the air was stale and musty, with a hint of something else lurking in the shadows.

Minerva motioned for Martin to set down the child on the cot, and he did so with trembling hands. As he stepped back, Minerva loomed over the child, her eyes scanning every inch of her tiny frame.

It was an ominous scene, with the weight of the unknown pressing down on them like a heavy fog. Martin could feel his heart pounding in his chest as if he knew that something terrible was about to happen.

But he could only watch in silence, as Minerva went about her work, her movements quick and efficient. And when she was done, she turned to Martin, her expression inscrutable.

"For a moment, I hoped I was wrong," she said. "It is the Akatimbuk," she added as she gazed at Martin's trembling form.

As Martin worriedly inquired of Minerva, his mind was awash with confusion and trepidation. He desperately sought to unravel the mystery of the elusive Akatimbuk, a name that seemed to hold some deep significance beyond his grasp. Minerva, wise and enigmatic, took a moment to gather her thoughts before responding to Martin's query.

Turning to the child, whose fierce countenance suggested a primal nature beyond human comprehension, Minerva furrowed her brow and cast a spell that immediately lulled the child into a deep slumber. With the calm of a seasoned sage, she then proceeded to brew a fragrant herbal tea, the scent of which filled the room and eased Martin's troubled mind.

As she returned to Martin's side, Minerva spoke softly, her voice carrying the weight of ages past. "The Akatimbuk," she began, "is something that is as ancient as the world itself. Its origins are shrouded in mystery, and little is known of its true nature or purpose. Some say the Akatimbuk actually refers to," Minerva glanced at Martin's daughter, "refers to the creature. Some believe it is a harbinger of great change, a symbol of the ebb and flow of life, while others believe it to be a guardian of secrets, a keeper of knowledge beyond mortal comprehension."

"But we, the Suburababa tribe, have a different belief and we know that ours is the truth," Minerva stated firmly. She rose from her seat and walked to an old chest, where she retrieved a book that appeared nearly decayed and emitted a putrid scent. "This book has been passed down through generations and has been in the possession of our tribe since its creation."

Berceuse for The Suffering (Complete)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें