Chapter 22

"The King's health is failing and failing fast. We do not have a big window to raise our banners. Our time is near and we must be ready."

"I'm aware, uncle. And do not worry, our allies are ready to and only wait for our signal."

"Things would have gone smoother had we been in the capital, Father."

"You worry too much, cousin. We are well placed from where we are. Soon the sun shall shine on House Hightower as one of our own sits on the throne, as it should always have been."

More words would have been spoken, had there not been the roar of a dragon to silence them all.

***

It had been a normal day up until the roar was heard by all in town. People were going about their business, men in arms patrolled the city, and the pious preached their religion. And then the silhouette of a beast became visible in the Northern Sky.

The people began to panic as the beast's shadow soon swallowed the entire town. Terrifying of all, it was not alone. With it flew five other dragons, three of which were large and mighty.

The men at arms shouted for the people to take shelter as the winds lashed out wildly from the beasts flying overhead. The men at arms were ready to fight, but a collective roar from all six had them scurrying as well.

Lord Ormund Hightower rushed out onto the balcony of his chambers, followed by his Uncle Ser Otto and Cousin Ser Gwayne. They watched, wide-eyed in horror as the dragons soared over them, and circled their city before perching on the inner wall of the castle. Men ran scared for their lives at the sight from their posts on the wall. The Largest of the dragons flew over the tower, before blasting a burst of hot flames onto the burning light of the Hightower. It then descended so its rider was face to face with the Lord of the tower and his family.

"Lord Ormund, we are here for you to answer for your crimes. Come out peacefully and nobody gets hurt, refuse and we burn the entire city to the ground. We will wait for you in the town centre" the Princess and Heir to The Iron Throne shouted her orders boldly, like a dragon roaring. The giant beast flew towards the town next, followed by the rest.

***

Lord Ormund rode with a small retinue of soldiers, accompanied by his Uncle and Cousin. He was not sure why the Princess was there, but it worried him greatly that she had shown up on Dragon's back, and not alone at that. Old Town had seen its fair share of Dragons, but never six Dragons. He recognized four of them, having read about the dragons in his studies and another hearing about from his source in the capital.

One was Vhagar, the Princess' mount. She was called the Queen of the Dragons and was the oldest and largest living Dragon in the present time.

The other two were Vermithor and Silverwing, the Old King Jaehaerys' and his wife the Good Queen Alyssane's dragons. The two from his knowledge were unclaimed still, but it was clear that he lacked some vital information in that regard.

Of the other three dragons, the largest was Dreamfyre, once Princess Rhaena's dragon and now Helaena's. The golden one was Sunfyre if he remembered right, belonging to Aegon. The last one he did not recognize.

The common folk had cleared the town centre and were watching from where they hid. Only one dragon had landed, Vhagar the Queen of Dragons. The Princess stood waiting for the Hightower party, dressed in gear that made it seem like she was going out for battle. She even had a sword strapped to her side.

"Princess" Lord Ormund greeted, bowing to the heiress on The Iron Throne.

"Skip the pleasantries, Lord Ormund. We both know you'd rather not bow to me" the Princess cut in sharply. The Lord of Hightower stood, his face constipated. "I am here to dispense justice for the crime you've committed."