Chapter 15

Caraxes had been the first sign of their arrival, followed soon by Seasmoke. The banner of House Targaryen and House Velaryon soon followed, decorating the sails of ships that carried the men back home.

A raven had been sent to Driftmark, inviting Princess Rhaenys and her daughter Laena Velaryon to join the King and his family in welcoming the men back from a war well fought and attending the funeral for the men that would not return, the men who had valiantly fought and given their lives for the cause of the Crown. The families of said men will be taken care of by the Crown, should a family to take care of exist.

Princess Rhaenys and her daughter Laena arrived the previous day and were now standing with my father and me. The rest of the Council was there as well, including the newest addition to the Council. Larys Strong was chosen to be Master of Whispers at my recommendation after having proven a capable man to gather information. The information he gathered, was one kept between myself, my father and the Spymaster. Lord Lyonel was not too pleased but he accepted the decision like the loyal man that he was.

Caraxes and Seasmoke went straight to the Dragonpit to rest. While the ships docked at the harbour. Ser Otto thought it would be better if we greet them in the Throne Room, but I felt that greeting them as they dismounted would be a better option.

The first to dismount was Lord Corlys and his son Laenor, the latter looking older than the last time I had seen him, and I did not mean it only in terms of age. It was the signs of him seeing too much, the look of someone who returned from war.

Princess Rhaenys welcomed her husband with an embrace before moving to her son who she clung on to, a worried mother relieved to see her son come home safely.

"Your Grace" Lord Corlys knelt before Father. Father ordered him to rise and the man did as asked, staring at his King stonily. It was obvious that the man was not too happy at the moment, even with family around him.

Father nodded at him with a small smile, undisturbed by the stony look. He was King and he knew Lord Corlys for a long time, he was used to this particular expression.

The men descended next, and the servants were brought along to help with bringing the dead out of the ships. The ones that were alive, were welcomed a hero's welcome by the civilians that had been permitted to attend the welcoming. The men looked awed, grateful and close to tears.

The last man to descend was Daemon Targaryen, looking very different from the man that had been sent to war. His childish petulance and look of impatience seemed to have gone, replaced by maturity and calmness.

He stopped before Father, and the brothers eyed one another in silence. Uncle was the first to react, going to his knees and lowering his head. Father moved next, moving forward and bringing his brother back to his feet with his own hands. He was smiling as he embraced Uncle Daemon.

Uncle then come to me and raised an eyebrow at the child in my arms.

"I wasn't aware that I was gone so long as to have the birth of your daughter, dear niece" he stated, voice filled with amusement.

"Sister" I corrected him with a small. "You've missed the birth of my brother and Sister. This is Helaena, and the squirming little thing in Alicent's arms in Aegon."

Uncle Daemon eyed the children, but his gaze did not hold the same warmth as they did when he was looking at me. I held back a sigh at the reaction.

"Who holds the Stepstones?"

"My brother, Vaemond Velaryon and a host of two thousand hold the Stepstones for us. As were your orders, Your Grace."

Father and Lord Corlys talked, the conversation flowing between frigid and civil. Nobody needed to guess who was giving off what sort of vibe.