Chapter 6

Ever since the day I started flying those nine years ago, I had realized one thing, I loved to take to the skies.

The wind in my face, the freedom of not being bound to anything but my trusted partner, how insignificant everything seemed and felt from up there, none of my worries mattered. I needed such a feeling today... especially today. I knew Mother was going to die soon.

In the time between my birth and today, my parents had tried many times to have an heir. Each time was met with a horrible miscarriage that left my mother weak for days. Mother was pregnant again, and I knew this would be the last time. How did I know? Father was hosting a name day feast.

Vhagar roared as we soared over the clouds. She roared again when we descended. We flew close to the city, so close that I could smell it from up here. The people did not stop to stare, they were used to Vhagar and me now.

Vhagar slowly descended into the open area behind the Dragonpit, where the dragon usually landed and was guided back to the inside of the pit.

I dropped off from Vhagar and ran my hands over her smooth scales. Vhagar was an old dragon and proof of that were the scars she wore from the many battles she fought in. Once I stepped back, she took to the skies once more. Vhagar did not live in the Dragonpit, for she had outgrown it many moons ago.

"Welcome back, Princess" an older man greeted me as I watched Vhagar take to the skies. I turned around, biting the glove I wore and yanking it off my hand with my teeth. "I trust your ride was pleasant."

It was Ser Harrold Westerling, one of Father's Kingsguard. He was almost a shadow to me, following me around to make sure I was safe. Father and Mother insisted I have him on my tail ever since I had snuck out and taken Vhagar for my first flight without telling anyone.

"Try not to look too relieved, Ser" I spoke to the Kingsguard with a friendly smile. I liked the man, he was kind and honourable. And he would always bend the rules for me in one way or the other.

"I am relieved," the Knight said, "every time that bronze beast brings you unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike."

I chuckled before moving my attention to where I was walking, the carriage where Alicent stood smiling and welcoming.

"Is it just me? Or has Vhagar grown even larger?" the woman of five and twenty spoke, her amused eyes pinned on me.

"Has she? I haven't noticed" I smiled with my reply. "You should join me again sometimes, it would be fun."

"Once was more than enough for me" Alicent returned my smile with one of her own. Her brows furrowed then and the smile fell quickly. "Rhaenyra, are you alright? You feel a little out of it."

"Do I? I'm not feeling any different" I frowned and looked over myself. Truth be told, I was a little out of it. But Alicent didn't know why, because I never told her what would happen soon. I told no one.

Alicent did not look like she bought my answer, but did not press me further. We entered the carriage and it took us through the city and back to the Red Keep. The people were busy as always, both in and outside of the Castle.

Hand in hand Alicent and I entered the building and hand in hand she escorted me to my room. It was a habit we developed over the years of our friendship.

We both entered my room and Alicent helped me pick out a change of clothes. Loath to admit I had grown a fondness for wearing these everyday dresses. I blame the heat of King's Landing for this and not my feminine instincts or whatever Septa Eleanora kept saying would kick in. Alicent didn't care what or who I blamed, she was happy that now she could dress me up in any way she liked. And the girl could be exhaustive when she's in her