11

"How could you just leave like that?" I ask Azarius as soon as he's in the door.

He winces. "I was panicking?"

"I can attest to that, he had a full mental breakdown at the club," Sloan says.

"He was at the club? Excuse me?"

"Not the whole time, we drove around the city looking for the train station so he could get as far as possible for a while," Ravana says.

Azarius pushes him slightly, which manages to make him stumble. "You aren't helping."

He sits down by Lief and Jamie.

"Why?"

Azarius shrugs. "I was afraid. I heard Ravana tell you what I did and it just... reminded me of how fucked up I am. I shouldn't be anywhere near you guys. I'm not... right."

"Boo!" Ravana jeers.

Okay, so he's slightly drunk. Great. At least Azarius isn't.

"Perce, we kind of have shit to do. Big shipment and whatnot? Possible need for some mass murder? Can we have this drama later, or do you want me to go alone?"

I sigh.

"Azarius. If you leave this house, you're done for. I'll see you later. Leif, Ravana, nice meeting you. Get the fuck out."

Leif doesn't press the issue, but Ravana complains as his husband pulls him out by his sleeve.

"Lock up. Darius is downstairs, go talk to him," I say to Azarius, not looking at him.

I'm just a little bit pissed. We get to the car, and I sigh.

"What was that about murder?"

"Some shitheels have been encroaching on our territory. You up for a gunfight?"

"Abso-fucking-lutely. Let's go."

-

I get back to the house in the evening more exhausted than I've been in a while. Azarius and Darius are behind the counter when I enter.

I sit in one of the antique chairs across from them.

"So. Do you have a better explanation than fear, now?"

Azarius sighs. "That is the only real reason. I'm scared to have you know things about me. I'm scared of repeating history, and hurting people I care about. I don't want to do that."

I lean back. "So that led you to think that you should just be alone."

He nods. "I guess I didn't fully know what it was until Ravana pointed it out."

"Well. What made you come back?"

"Sloan needed a ride and Ravana was drunk and more likely to kill me than before."

I stare at him. "Are you going to leave again?"

He shrugs.

"I don't want you to leave, Az, especially without saying goodbye," I tell him.

"Right. It won't go that way again if I do leave."

"Good."

"Aww, look at that tiny little smile," Darius coos.

I throw an empty energy drink can at him. It's the only thing around to throw.

It sails past him.

"I am so, so tired. Lock up shop and let's make some dinner."

We head upstairs to the kitchen. Azarius stares into the fridge.

"We don't have anything other than mustard."