15; Baggage from the past.

Start from the beginning

"But you are a team. They are disregarding my order. Don't they have any respect for me anymore?"

"I'm sure they do. But as the Chief, you need to understand them as well. You can't force them to do what they don't want to. Give them time, I'm sure they won't disappoint you." She didn't decide to work with the Alpha team out of the blue. She studied them for a long time, and deemed them the perfect group to work with. She trusts their work; they take it seriously.

Chief still didn't seem convinced. He knew the Alpha team take their job seriously, they are the best for a reason. However, he knows how stubborn they be collectively as well; and that's something Inaya doesn't know. He couldn't help but be worried.

Seeing the worry still painted across his features, Inaya's smile widened slightly into that which screamed underlying mischief. Drawing the swivel chair closer to the table where the MacBook is, she placed a hand beside it, drumming her fingers. "Just consider it a little competition between they and I." It was clear from her tone that the thought excites her. "Let's see who will get the job done first. Perhaps, it will make them trust my work even slightly."

He shook his head slightly. "Inaya I know you've handled a lot of cases, but this isn't something easy..."

"Tell me, Chief," She started, not seeming offended by her lack of belief in her in the slightest bit. Instead, it seems she thrives on it. "why do you think I still roam around freely despite my so called label as a 'fugitive'? I mean, I don't exactly hide who I am."

His brows drew in, lips slanted into a deep frown. To be frankly honest, he had thought about it as well, only to end up drawing countless conclusions—none of which has been concluded as the right answer.

When he didn't give her answer, she took that as her cue to give him a befitting response. "I have the resources, that's why." Her smile morphed into a barely visible smirk. "I told you before didn't I? Trust me even if it's only slightly. I'll give you a satisfying result; and I'm sure they will as well."

He parted his lips to say something, only to decide against it. Deciding to do as she asked, he offered her a small nod. "Alright, I'll leave you to it then. Let me know when you have something."

"Noted, Chief."

With the call having been ended, Inaya let out a small sigh, her smile disappearing as she sank back in the chair. Subconsciously, she drew her lower lip between her teeth and lightly drew her teeth across it, a crease forming between her brows. Her eyes then flicked close as she took in a deep breath, repeating the action a couple of times. It went on for about a minute or two, before she made up her mind to get up and do something productive.

On stepping out of her room, she decided to check on the room beside hers. Carefully pushing the door open, she wasn't surprised to see her best friend stuck in front of her laptop typing away with airpods plugged in her ears—tuning out every sound. A bowl of fresh fruits lies beside the laptop on the bed, clearly to accompany her task.

Inaya didn't disturb her, she was glad the woman has something to take her mind off the worries of her own life. She has been staying in her house since the other day, vehemently refusing to head back to her own home. Inaya didn't push her, knowing the situation she is living isn't one she would want to live in either.

So, she closed the door and headed downstairs instead to get something to eat as well. It had to be a little over eight in the night; a clear reminder that she has been engrossed in her work for a little over nine hours—only getting up to pray and return to be planted right in front of her computer, doing what she does best.

She hadn't had anything to eat aside from the snacks Amina, her best friend that she had just allowed to keep working instead of disturbing, brought to her. Even then, she had to force herself to eat a bit to avoid Amina's impending scold. It was a bad habit of hers, not eating that is. She could live the whole day off taking tea every now and then—she probably had about four cups since the day started, and was off to make her fifth instead of getting food in her system.