XLI

20 BBYUmbara, Expansion Region

20 BBY
Umbara, Expansion Region

The two suns melted the sand on Tatooine. It was mid-noon and the air was stale, as the heat simmered against the ground. Letting out a pant, Jaika scrubbed the engine of a speeder, which reflected brightly in the sun's reflection. The young girl's rag burned as it made contact with the hot metal, as a hole burnt through the thin material. The girl noticed and let out a huff, "Not again." She whined, as she continued to clean the engine, in fear that her job would not be finished. 

Letting out a breath, she threw the rag onto the small heap of destroyed material, as she picked up another one, in hopes that this one would do its job. As the girl began to clean again, the door beside her slid open, revealing the greedy Toydarian. The creature grunted as he inspected Jaika's work, or lack of work let's say. "Girl! I told you to be finished with the cleaning by noon! I have customers waiting, and parts to be fitted!" Watto shouted, making Jaika jump back in fright as she peered up at the Toydarian with her big eyes, as she clutched the burnt rag in her small bruised hands.

"I've been trying, but it's too hot! The rags burn under the heat. Look, it has holes in it." Jaika explained, showing the rag which had circular holes burnt into it. The Toydarian let out a huff, refusing to care for her justifications. "Then find something that won't burn any holes through it!" The Toydarian growled, as he grabbed Jaika's bare hands and pressed it against the hot metal; making the young girl cry out in pain as her hands grew red. 

After a few moments, he released his grip which caused Jaika to collapse onto the ground. The girl inspected her hands that were covered with white marks from her new collection of burns, the girl's hands shook as she lost all feeling in both hands. "That is what happens when you don't follow what I say! Now finish it! I will be expecting you in the shop in an hour with a polished engine!" Watto threatened, before fluttering out of the garage and back into the shop.

Jaika sat on the sand covered ground and cradled her hands, looking down at her burnt hands that screamed at her. She looked towards the closed door, and let out a sigh before she stood up. The girl picked up another rag and continued to clean; each stroke sending a shock through her hands, as she grunted in pain. Jaika knew better than to stop. She had no other choice, she had to work past it, or else she would receive even harsher treatment. As she scrubbed, her elbow bashed into the engine, sending a shockwave of pain across her skin and through her nerves as her joint was now burnt. "Just ignore it. I have to get it done." The child muttered.

A nearby explosion awoke Jaika from her memory, as she found herself standing within the hanger of a cruiser, surrounded by clones and various ships. Jaika glanced down and inspected her scarred hands, as conversation resonated around her. She often recalled her days from Tatooine, where she often faced a lot of abuse from others. The girl liked to think that her treatment was what made her today, as she still pushed through pain to complete missions.