introduction

vienna ray was five when her parents had told her they were leaving derry, maine and moving to miami, florida in a few days.

although she was excited to get out of the miserable town and move to a more exciting state, she was upset to be leaving her neighbour and only friend, victor criss.

they had practically been joined at the hip since birth, and when she had arrived on his door step with the news that she was moving, he was heartbroken. to him, this meant no more stargazing, no more staying up talking, no more playing in the garden. no more her.

victor was annoyed. how could she just leave? did she forget they had promised to be friends forever? being a six year old, he didn't know how to express his feelings so he did what he thought any other rational boy would do, which was to slam the door in vienna's face.

as she walked back, she felt more alone than ever, since she had taken that door slam as victor officially ending their friendship.

when the time came to leave, vienna left derry with no friends.

and when victor finally came to the conclusions that vienna wasn't to blame for her leaving (as she was only five and didn't have a say), she was already boarding her flight to florida.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

it only took a month for the girl to forget all about her life back in derry. florida was great. unlike in derry, she had made many friends and spent her weekends at the beautiful sandy beaches, the massive shopping malls and at her new house (which she favoured way more than her old one).

however, things took a turn a year later. august 19th, a day before her birthday, would mark the day where vienna's parents where murdered. the six year old girl watched them be killed from under the table. they laid on the floor with blood surrounding their bodies, their lifeless eyes wide with fear.

shortly following the incident, she was sent to an orphanage in tampa, where she would spend her next nine years living.

so a few days after her fifteenth birthday when the orphanage director had told her she had been adopted she was shocked. what shocked vienna even more is that the family who had adopted her lived in derry, a place she thought she would never see again. and she was due to be there in a week.