⁸⁹ : fate

"there's no one."

jeonghan sighed as he ran his hands through his hair, ignoring the numbing pain growing in his arm.

time seemed to have stood still, the world in a limbo between night and day as seungcheol opened another door only to find piles of dust waiting inside.

jeonghan bit his lip, wondering where the headmaster could be as seungcheol jogged back to him, sweat dripping down his forehead. "you okay blondie?"

jeonghan nodded, unable to say anything else as he looked around the deserted building, debris crumbling down from the ceiling every few seconds.

he sat down on what he assumed was once a bench, tired of running and walking around aimlessly.

as he looked around at their new reality, he couldn't help but feel that maybe, he could've prevented all this from happening. maybe, if he had just tried a little harder, no one would've deviated too far from their stories and they'd all be safe and sound by now, just waiting for their eventual fate to catch up to them.

but he knew that even if he could go back in time and change it all, he would've done the same.

he would've sat back and watched dino try to put them all together, creating a family for himself that he so longed for. he would've watched vernon discover what it meant to fall for someone and through him, he would've been able to see seungkwan's bright smile, often disguised as a cough to not let it get to vernon's head. he would smile as minghao comforted jun, the pair becoming each others haven while he'd encourage mingyu to chase after wonwoo, the boy who once solely hid in the shadows being brought back into the light by the protagonist of his tale. he'd experience woozi's change for the first time again, watching his icy demeanour melt all because of the mad hatter hoshi who prided himself on understanding the unknown. he'd let himself fall out of romantic love for his best friend, joshua and dokyeom creating their own tale for themselves based on the notion of love alone.

"blondie?"

most importantly, he knew that even if he did go back in time, he'd still fall in love with the god before him, the boy covered in debris yet still seemingly effortlessly charming to him.

"are you sure you're okay princess?"

"maybe i should've let myself fall for you faster," jeonghan muttered, catching seungcheol off guard.

all those years he had spent ensuring that he adhered to every whim of his role flashed before his eyes in a black and white blur.

"what're you talking about?" seungcheol asked, leaning forward and gently tucking jeonghan's hair behind his ears.

despite the fact that the world around them was falling apart, in that moment, all jeonghan could see was seungcheol.

seungcheol who went against everything he once stood for. seungcheol who bothered him and questioned everything he did endlessly. seungcheol who swore that he hated every inch of his being back then.

"it was you."

"what was me?"

it was seungcheol who took care of him when he was injured. seungcheol who went out of his way to help him no matter what. seungcheol who watched the sunset with him. seungcheol who protected him.

"it was always you."

"have you lost it-" before seungcheol could question him further, jeonghan tugged on the red string connecting them, catching his lips with his own.

it was choi seungcheol who became yoon jeonghan's true happy ending.

when they broke apart, seungcheol rested his forehead against jeonghan's. "i thought you wanted to talk about us later?"

"well, it is later," jeonghan said, the slightly older of the pair chuckling, his eyes focused on the princess's lips. "cheol-"

"i feel like we're interrupting something."

the pair quickly broke apart, seungcheol stumbling backwards and falling on the floor dramatically before glaring at who had interrupted them.

"joshuji!" jeonghan greeted, rushing over to joshua and instinctively hiding his arm behind his back. "you're safe."

joshua wrapped his arms around jeonghan, closing his eyes and holding his best friend close. "you're safe too."

jeonghan looked at the others behind joshua, mentally counting and feeling his heart sink when he realised that there were people missing. "where're the others?" he asked the question yet deep down, he didn't wish to know the answer.

upon hearing him, tears welled in dino's eyes, minghao immediately pulling him into a hug.

"they didn't make it," woozi said, his eyes bloodshot as he sniffled. "mingyu, seungkwan, vernon and hosh...soonyoung — they didn't make it."

wonwoo looked down at his own hands, a look that said everything while saying nothing at all.

i should've been the one that died.

silence dawned upon them, everyone unsure of just how long they'd have before fate came dragging them back.

"they aren't dead." all eyes turned to seungcheol, the god's hands glowing a distorted shade of blue. "they aren't in the underworld."

"they haven't?" dino asked, his cheeks glistening with tears. "so that means..."

"they aren't dead," seungcheol repeated. "we can still save them."

"we just need to find the headmaster and figure all of this out before-"

"before what?" a familiar voice taunted from above. instead of the headmaster greeting them, it felt like a monster was in his stead, his face cracking and oozing black while his eyes were a demonic red as he sat atop an invisible platform.

"i'm surprised you made it this far after fighting fate," his voice pierced through their ears, a jumbled mess of gibberish hiding behind every word he said. "but, it's time for a reset!"

"what're you talking about?" seungcheol yelled, stepping before jeonghan and shielding him from the unidentifiable liquid falling out of the headmaster's mouth. "reset?"

"it's exactly what i said!" he snapped his fingers, the world around them slowly being stripped of matter.

"i'll show you why you should've never challenged fate."

—-

vee talks!
happy 8th anniversary svt 💗

um so this was probably the longest ive gone without updating but to put it simply: bad health and exams were not conducive for writing 💀

also this story is ending very soon...
but i hope you guys will stick with me to the end even if it might take a while before the next chapter again (i still have exams)

but how has everyone been? feel free to tell me in the comments heh 😚

take care and love y'all <33