Chapter 18 | PHASE ONE: Ebi

Start from the beginning

The moment we took a few steps towards the packhouse, Roman's entire body tensed up as he inhaled deeply, once then twice — his attention caught elsewhere as he turned around, wincing in pain from his leg but never paying much attention to it as he stared in the direction of the underground cells.

"Oh shit, this is the day that we die." — Maddox whispers, being of absolutely no fucking help.

I shove him back and watch quietly, trying my best not to get too nervous and catch Roman's attention.

A frown now taking over his once confused expression, as if he were in deep thought — his head tilting slowly to the side as his attention lingers on the building that sat above the underground cells.

"Roman?" Hunter asks, trying to get his attention but the Hairball was quick to cut me off.

"What is that building?" Roman questions, his gaze hardening as his attention stayed plastered on said building. "What does it hold?"

"That's the conference building." I interject quickly, catching Roman's attention, something that was trying to avoid, as he looks in my direction.

"Is that all?" Roman asks skeptically, I nod, Gabe sends Hunter a look and he swallows nervously.

The last thing we need is for Roman to find out that we have two other felines in the cells here. I don't know how felines feel about their own being held in cells but I definitely didn't want to fucking find out.

Even with our ranks, our titles and our skills, I knew that Hunter, Gabe and I were no match for a feline shifter — much less a fully matured Lion the size of Roman.

The Hairball's natural form is terrifying, so I could only imagine what his Lion's true form looked like.

"Probably just as big as the other one that the pack took down." — Maddox shook his head, his tail tucking between his legs and I couldn't agree more as I mentally nod to him.

"Hmm." Roman hums in response as his attention lingers on the conference building for a few moments longer before he sighs, his body still tense though as he turns back around and starts to head towards the packhouse.

Hunter looks at Gabe, who was watching Roman with a look that neither one of us could figure out, Hunter he shrugs when his gaze falls on Hunter's then looks at me.

Gabe was frowning as Roman opened the door to the packhouse, so Hunter and I both shake our heads, unsure of what else to say about the Hairball's weirdness just now.

Running to catch up to Roman who was already inside of the packhouse at this point, Hunter walks in first and then closed the door once Gabe and I walked in behind him.

Observing Roman, we all stay rooted to our spots, watching as Roman looks around the bottom floor of the packhouse.

Roman limps into the kitchen from the livingroom, his eyes glowing a golden color, Maddox pushing forward with me as we both could feel his Lion forward with him as they sniff various spaces around the bottom floor.

Confusing yet terrifying.

Their attention seemed locked onto the game room and then the livingroom, one couch in particular that happened to be my favorite couch and then their attention shifted to the stairs that led to the second floor.

"Hero." Roman and his Lion whisper before taking off upstairs, Hunter's eyes widen as he looks to Gabe and I.

We all share the same expression before rushing after Roman.

Finding him on the second floor, he was ripping open all of the doors that led to bedrooms, bathrooms and one office before running up the second set of stairs that led to the Alpha floor — my floor of the packhouse.