47. Rulers

July 14th, 1536, Holyrood castle

Walking through the corridors of Holyrood Castle, Madeleine did her best to conceal her disgust. Even after more than a month in the castle, she still found it astonishingly unattractive.

Her journey from France to Scotland had proven more challenging than she had anticipated. Almost immediately after boarding the ship, she fell ill. The sea air quickly made her sick, and her health rapidly deteriorated. By the time she arrived in Scottish territory after five days of travel, she was seriously ill.

James had decided to forgo the planned tour to showcase his new queen and instead took her directly to Holyrood Castle, where she received care in her private quarters from Scottish physicians.

After a few weeks, Madeleine finally began to feel better. She was grateful for the attentive care she had received from the Scottish doctors. James was overjoyed to see his new wife recovering, and he decided to throw a feast to welcome her to Scotland, six weeks after their arrival on Scottish soil.

However, Madeleine couldn't help but dislike Holyrood Castle. It paled in comparison to the luxurious castles and châteaus she had visited in France. The castle was damp and cold, and the dark walls and interiors only added to her misery.

Not that she would dare voice her complaints aloud. She didn't know whom she could trust among her court, which now consisted mostly of Scots rather than French. For now, she would remain cautious and observant, evaluating the situation for herself.

As she reached the high doors that separated the corridor from the throne room, she found James waiting for her. When James saw his wife, he smiled.

He had witnessed firsthand how quickly her health had deteriorated. He had feared losing her and jeopardizing his alliance with France.

Fortunately, by God's grace, Madeleine had overcome her illness and was looking slightly better, although not quite as she had been when they married a few months earlier.

He couldn't fault her; King Francis had warned him about Madeleine's delicate health. When plans were made for their alliance, he had offered Marie of Bourbon, but it had been James who insisted on marrying the French princess.

"My dear wife, I am overjoyed to see you back on your feet and in good health," James said, kissing Madeleine's hand. Madeleine smiled. "It has taken a long time. My illness deprived me of the chance to meet my new people," she expressed a momentary disappointment before putting on a smile again. "Nevertheless, I am eager to meet the court. Shall we make our entrance?"

James nodded, and Madeleine linked her arm with his. When the lackey opened the door to the throne room, Madeleine came face to face with the court. She briefly bit her lip. The court consisted mostly of men, with a few women scattered here and there.

The throne room was as underwhelming as the rest of the castle. The hall was adorned with Scottish banners and illuminated by numerous candles. Two dark wooden thrones stood on the dais, while the stone walls remained devoid of decorations.

Madeleine tried to conceal her disappointment and disgust, replacing them with smiles as she passed the people on her way to the thrones. Madeleine immediately sensed that she would not find happiness in Scotland, and she longed for her homeland.

She reflected on the words Catherine had spoken to her months ago: "Whatever happens, whatever your relationship with your husband, make sure to find joy. Whether it be through your children or your hobbies, seek joy." This was before Catherine's own life had shattered. Madeleine wondered if Catherine still held the same sentiments, given her own circumstances.

Upon reaching the thrones, James and Madeleine turned to face the court. "Good people, allow me to introduce my wife and your queen, Madeleine Stuart, Queen of Scotland. I hope you will warmly welcome her to our beautiful Scotland, just as I have."

Madeleine smiled upon hearing James' words. She still had much to learn.

She had promised herself that, as queen, she would do everything in her power to strengthen the bond between Scotland and France.

After all, it was her duty as the Princess of France, her duty to her beloved father.

James took her hand and led her to her throne, where she took her seat.

This was her first time sitting on her throne. It symbolized her status as Queen of Scotland.

Although her position was not yet firmly established, she knew deep inside that when she bore a son to the Scottish people, her position would be unassailable.

For now, she would need to earn her husband's trust. Only then could she truly rule by his side, rather than being silent and obedient, as many queens were expected to be.

She would be the queen Scotland needed, and the ally France needed.

"I shall either find a way, or make one," she whispered softly. It was in that moment that she decided this would be her motto.

Madeleine would live by her motto. Only then could she fulfill her plans.

༺༻

July 16th, 1536, Florence

Ippolito, who had been tasked with discussing Catherine's divorce with the pope, had not returned to Rome as promised. The changed situation in Florence made it nearly impossible.

The Florentine exiles, who had remained quiet for a long time, had kept them occupied with their constant threats to overthrow Alessandro from his Florentine throne.

Alessandro pretended not to care, but as he paced his room at night, his hands in his hair, a pensive look on his face, Ippolito and Margarita could see through his facade.

It had taken Alessandro significant effort, but with the assistance of Ippolito and Margarita, he had managed to appease his subjects, just as he had at the beginning of his reign. The financial support they provided to the citizens

and the charitable endeavors they invested in had greatly reduced instances of famine. With the arrival of warmer weather, their crops flourished as well. Alessandro no longer feared an uprising from the Florentine people; in fact, they had become so content that they held him and his family in high regard.

Now, with everything seemingly going well, unfortunate circumstances with the Florentine exiles had arisen.

It almost seemed to Alessandro as if God were punishing him for something. Despite Ippolito's attempts to convince him otherwise, Alessandro couldn't shake those thoughts from his mind.

"What exactly do these exiles want? They can forget about returning to Florence as long as I'm alive!" Alessandro exclaimed, tearing up the letter he had just read and throwing it into the fire.

Alessandro had tasked Lorenzino with speaking to the exiles to ascertain their exact demands. Lorenzino had written to inform him that the Florentine exiles would not cease their disturbance until Alessandro abdicated his position and title as ruler of Florence. It was a demand Alessandro would never entertain.

In his response, Alessandro made it clear that he would not comply and that they would need to find an alternative solution. Failure to do so would result in Alessandro taking severe measures.

"Don't let their empty words affect you. You are the Duke of Florence, and you decide what happens here, not them," Ippolito reassured his cousin. "As long as the Florentines stand behind you, you have nothing to fear. The people love you and your children. They would never yield to anyone else."

Alessandro nodded. Ippolito was right. As long as the people loved him, he had nothing to fear.

He was the ruler of Florence, and Florence would continue to exist under the name of Medici.

He would ensure it.