32. Anne Boleyn

17th of January, 1536, Paris

"Do we really have to go?" Marie asked reluctantly as she and Catherine walked through the halls of the palace towards Anne Boleyn's apartments.

They had just returned from the tournament that had taken place outside the high walls of the palace.

Catherine had been awakened that morning by Henri who had climbed out of bed with a lot of noise. It had been so noisy that even the maid who was lying on the floor was immediately awakened.

Henri had returned to his own chambers soon after, after giving Catherine and his child a warm greeting in her womb.

Catherine had been getting ready for the tournament. She was dressed in an emerald green dress and had chosen jewelry in a similar color.

"It's better not to offend her by not going," said Catherine, her voice echoing with reluctance. "I promise you, we won't stay long." Catherine promised as they stood at the doors of her apartment. She nodded to the footman at the door, signaling that he could introduce them.

"Her Highnesses, the Duchess of Orleans and Duchess of Longueville." announced the footman after opening the doors to Queen Anne's apartments.

Catherine and Marie entered the audience room, which was filled with the Queen's ladies-in-waiting. Queen Anne sat in the middle of the room on a fabric-covered chair.

Queen Anne had invited the two duchesses to meet them. It was important to strengthen their ties with the French nobles and it was her job to get the wives of those nobles on her side.

She knew it would be difficult to lead the pope's niece to her side. But there was no task she dared not consider in life.

Catherine curtsied reluctantly, only briefly dropping to her knees. It hardly seemed like a curtsy, but who would say anything about it? Marie standing behind her made a short curtsy herself

"The Duchess of Orleans and Duchess of Longueville, welcome." Anne Boleyn greeted them with a smile. "Please, take a seat." She gestured to the two chairs across from her.

"Pour the duchesses a cup of wine." she ordered her lady-in-waiting Madge.

"I just received the wine from the Spanish ambassador. He told me that it comes from Spanish vineyards." Anne said when Madge handed them the cups.

Catherine stared at her with an emotionless look. She didn't want to be here and if it wasn't for Henri she never would have come.

She hated this woman, just like much of Christianity.

Catherine took a long gulp of the wine so she wouldn't have to speak.

Anne herself also took a sip of her wine, but soon spat it back into the cup.

"Pregnancy always spoils my appetite. When I'm pregnant all I want is apples." Anne admitted when she saw Catherine and Marie looking at her with raised eyebrows.

"I am yet to have those problems."
replied Catherine. "You're in luck then."

"Lucky I'm sure." Catherine replied bluntly. She took another sip of the wine. The Spanish wine was nowhere near as flavorful as the wine she drank in Italy or France.

"What do you think of the music?" Anne asked to break the silence. She had brought Mark Smeaton with her from London to play for her whenever she wanted.

Catherine listened attentively to the violin music. Although the violinist played well, the music was not to her taste, she preferred the quiet tones of the lute.

"He plays the violin very well, although I prefer the lute more." Catherine admitted. Anne looked up in surprise. "You like the lute? Do you play yourself?"

"During my time in Rome I was able to play several musical instruments, I enjoyed the harp the most, but I also often play the lute, a flute and an organ. Music brings me peace."

"I've never been skilled at playing instruments. I was especially handy at embroidery and dancing. Since I've been queen I haven't had much time to dance, after all I can't dance when I'm pregnant." Anne smiled sadly.

Since she was queen, much had changed for her. Her relationship with Henry was not what it used to be. Henry wanted a son and she he couldn't give him one. That was reason enough for Henry to stop paying attention to his wife.

"Fortunately for me I shall never be queen, I am free to live as I please. My children shall have freedom as the children of the second son." Catherine smiled wickedly at Anne.

"Never say never, Duchess. After all, King Henry was only a second son, but he came to the throne after the death of his older brother."

Catherine sat up straighter. "I wish the Dauphin no harm. My husband and I are content with our place as Royal Duke and Duchess and then, of course, my own title as Countess of Auvergne."

"Your own title? That is impressive that you, as an Italian noble, have a French county under you. Your uncle must have worked hard for that." Anne smiled at Catherine. "You know, the Boleyns and the Medici are alike in many aspects. We came from low and have gradually climbed higher in nobility."

Catherine felt herself getting angry. Anne had no right to compare her family to the ambitious boleyns who would tear anyone down for their glory.

"My lady must have been mistaken about my family's history; the Medicis started as wealthy bankers, they supported the poor and the faith, they built domes and palaces. We married in nobility and won the trust of our people, making us the leaders of Florence. The Medici have produced two popes and dozens of cardinals descended from our blood. We rose to nobility by using our intelligence and power, not by using, disgracefully, the daughters of our house. And besides, I didn't get the title as countess of Auvergne because my uncle had to negotiate, but because I was the heir of my childless aunt, may she rest in peace."

Anne's ladies-in-waiting gasped in shock, but Anne herself continued to look at Catherine with a smile.

"And despite that, I am now Queen of England. Without power, without a family name and without the church, but faster than your family."

"But at what cost, my lady?" Catherine looked at her with a questioning face. "You have an awful lot of enemies. Your country has filled with Protestants thanks to you. You have to walk on your toes to avoid criticism. Was it all worth it?"

Anne opened her mouth but quickly closed it again. She didn't know what to answer to Catherine's words, especially since she knew that everything she had said was true.

"If you'll excuse me, the hour is late and I have to get ready for dinner." Catherine stood up. She left the queen's apartments without curtseying.

"What a bitch." she whispered. Mary chuckled. "A cheap whore indeed. And she may call herself the Queen of England." Marie continued, walking beside Catherine, toward her own apartments.

"She's far too proud for a commoner." Catherine hissed. She staggered briefly, she suddenly felt dizzy.

"Your Highness." cried Marie worriedly. She grabbed Catherine's arm.

Catherine squeezed her eyes shut briefly to fight the headache. It's nothing, I just felt dizzy. Let's go." She took a deep breath and continued walking.