22. Grief

20th of November, 1535
Fontainebleau, France

Camilla and Jacqueline struggled to contain their smiles at the sight of Francoise's uneasy look.

The noise from their mistress' bedroom was loud enough for all of them to hear in the audience room.

Ever since Catherine and Henri had spoken their vows again, they had been inseparable. Almost every night their mistress could be found in the bed of the prince or vice versa.

And now, in the middle of the day, they were in her bed. And only God knew what they were doing there, although the giggles already betrayed them.

"Henri, it's broad daylight." Catherine giggled as Henri crawled under her skirt. "So?"

"So that means you're not supposed to..." Catherine's sentence was interrupted by a moan at the feeling of Henri's lips.

Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door.

"My Lady" exclaimed Francoise.

"What!" cried Henri in exasperation, still under her skirt.

"I apologize, your highnesses, but the king calls on everyone to come straight to the throne room." Francoise called through the door.

Henri crawled out from under Catherine's skirts with a sigh. Catherine smiled at Henri's messy hair.

She got up from the bed and walked over to Henri, who had already got up.

"What will your father have to say?" Catherine asked as she straightened his hair. Henry shrugged. "I wouldn't know dear wife. We will soon find out." He grabbed her hand and pressed a kiss on it. "Come on let's go."

༺༻

Entering the throne room, Catherine looked around at everyone present. The whole family was already in the front of the room. The king and queen both sat on their thrones.

The hall was filled with the rest of the court. Each as curious as Catherine to hear what the king had to say.

Catherine made a quick curtsy for the royal couple, after which she and Henry took a stand between his siblings.

King Francis rose from his throne and looked across the hall. His eyes lingered briefly on Catherine before he looked away.

"I have called you all together because I have heard sad news: The Holy Father, the Pope has passed away. May he rest in peace and tranquility." King Francis announced.

The throne room was filled with the sound of a startled cry. Here and there people start to whisper.

Catherine felt herself tremble. She tried to process the king's words.

King Francis suddenly stood before her.  He placed his hand on her shoulder.  "I'm sorry Catherine, I have planned a mass in your uncle's honor."

Catherine nodded, swallowing back her tears. She wouldn't like the whole court to see her cry.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I appreciate it."  replied Catherine. Her voice sounded hoarse.

"Are you alright, lady wife?" Henri asked, his voice filled with concern at the sight of his wife turning pale.

Henri looked worriedly at his wife. He knew how much she loved her family. She had lived under the same roof as her uncle for so long. He was a father figure to her.

"I'm feeling a little light-headed, if you'll excuse me. I want to retire to my chambers." Catherine said weakly.  Without waiting for an answer, she sank into another curtsey and walked out of the throne room, followed by her ladies-in-waiting.

"Catherine!" Laura yelled as she hurried after her. Catherine ignored her and continued to her bedrooms at a faster pace.

Catherine slumped to the floor of her chambers. It wasn't long before tears followed.

Catherine sobbed softly as she buried her face in her hands.

"Caterina!" Laura yelled as she stormed into the room. "Back off." She said to the ladies-in-waiting who stood behind her when she saw her mistress on the floor.

Laura knelt down beside her and pulled Catherine into her arms. "Hush child, crying won't do any good." she whispered softly in her ear. She started singing a lullaby, a song she used to sing to Catherine during the time of exile.

༺༻

The next evening Catherine found herself in the chapel. After Mass, Catherine had decided to stay behind to pray for her uncle.

That was more than twelve hours ago.

Having skipped dinner the night before and breakfast that day, she decided to fast all day in the hope of strengthening her prayers.

She wanted her uncle to be proud of her from heaven.

Her eyes were now bright red from crying.  Her hands red from squeezing her rosary.  She felt dizzy, after all she hadn't eaten or drunk for hours and had been kneeling on the cold tiles of the chapel all that time.

"Uncle, you left me without a word from you. I ask you for a sign to know that you still watch over me. Send me a sign to reassure me." she whispered, staring at the altar.

Catherine felt her gaze cloud.

She tried to turn to her ladies-in-waiting who were kneeling behind her.

She tried to call them, but no sound came out of her mouth.

Before Catherine knew it, her sight darkened and she fell to the stone ground.

I feel like I'm going too fast through the chapters, but there's so little that's going to happen until the next chapter that I had to rush through it.

Get ready for drama and sadness. I've been cramming the last few chapters in my head for months now and I can't wait to publish the chapters.