07. Prayers

October 23rd, 1533
Marseille, France

The day before the wedding arrived and both parties prepared themselves for tomorrow's feast.

Francis walked with his sons Francis and Henri and his guards down the corridor of the chateau. They had just received some of the guests in the throne room.

"By tomorrow afternoon you will be a married man. I plan to give you a chateau so that you and your wife will have your own place, what do you think, Henri?" said Francis. He had been in a good mood all week. His son would marry and his marriage would bring a massive dowry into their treasuries.

"I don't want to get married Father." Henry replied. "don't make me do it." He then begged.

Francis stopped walking, causing all their entourage to stop walking, and turned to his son. "Does France really matter to you then?" he asked annoyed.

"I care deeply about France, father, you know that yourself."

"Then why are you making it so difficult? We need her dowry and the support of His Holiness the Pope for France."

"Then make her marry Francis, he's to be king, not me!" Henri shouted frustrated. Those in the hallway looked curiously at the king and prince, who were still standing in the hallway and heated in their conversation.

Prince Francis looked at his younger brother. He knew very well that it was not for Francis to marry Catherine. As a future king, he would have to make an even better marriage to help their country.

"You will marry the Medici lady and out with it. Tomorrow you will look like the happy groom who is happy with his marriage and treat your wife well in the course of your marriage. And if you are smart you will conceive a few sons with her and then you can get rid of her, you know what I mean?"

Henri nodded slowly. His father smiled with satisfaction and then continued on, leaving Henri and Francis in the hallway.

"You angered Father." said Francis. "I'm just trying to get myself out of this situation." Henri said annoyed. "You should be glad you don't have to get married." Henri and Francis walked on.

"Not yet, Henri, not yet. Once you're married, it won't be long before Father will marry one of us off."

Francis thought of his sisters and brothers. Madeleine, thirteen, would not be unmarried for much longer. As the eldest daughter, it was her duty to marry some prince or king.

And then they had Louise of ten. Although she was still young, he had heard his father mention several times the names of the still single princes who were about the same age as his sister.

And then he still had himself. He was once engaged to Princess Mary of England, but that engagement had been called off years ago. Now that the princess was a bastard, he was sure that those plans would never be resumed, but he was already anxious about the next lady who would put be put on his plate.

"Speaking of the devil." Henri said, rousing Francis from his thoughts. "There's my bride-to-be."

Catherine walked towards them, followed by her lady-in-waiting Camilla. She wore a short black veil on her hair, indicating that she was on her way to the chapel.

"Be nice to her." Francis warned Henri softly.

"Your Highnesses." Catherine greeted them when she reached them. She collapsed in curtsy.

"My lady." The two princes greeted her back. "Are you on your way to the chapel?" Francis asked her.

"Yes, my prince. I find that prayer comforts me when I am tense." replied Catherine. She looked at her fiancé who said nothing and looked away.

Francis smiled. "I share your thoughts on that and so does my brother. Unfortunately he has neglected his prayers in recent days, perhaps my brother would like to accompany you?" He looked at Henri and gestured subtly with his head.

Henri shook his head gently, then turned to Catherine.

"As much as I'd like to. I still have a lot to do and will have to decline."

"But of course, I understand, my prince."
She smiled disappointed. "I'll leave the princes, I wish you both a good day." She made another curtsy and walked on.

Henri also turned and walked in the opposite direction.

"You fool." Francis scolded his younger brother as he followed him. "Father would be disappointed."

"Father told me to be nice to her when we were married. That won't be until tomorrow, today I can still ignore her" Henri shouted over his shoulder he entered a chamber.

Catherine descended the stairs where she meg Alessandro who was walking up the stairs.

"Sister, where are you headed to and why do you look so sad?" Alessandro asked concerned.

"To the chapel, will you join me in prayer, Alessandro?"She smiled sweetly at her brother, knowing he wouldn't say no.

He nodded to his sister. "Sure." Catherine smiled again and hooked her arm through Alessandro's.

Together they walked to the chapel inside the chateau. When they got there, they sat down in front of the chapel and knelt down.

No matter what Alessandro tried, he couldn't concentrate in his prayer. He opened his eyes again and looked at his sister.

Catherine sat with her eyes closed, deep in prayer. Her lips moved quickly as they whispered the Latin phrases.

He couldn't believe that his sister would be married tomorrow and that he wouldn't see her again after that.

They should have been away from each other for so long. Now that they had finally found each other again, they were married off to the prince in a country beyond.

Alessandro sighed. "What are you praying for?" he asked his sister.

"I pray for the well-being of our uncle, yours and your son's and that of my future husband. I pray for the poor among us and thank God for all he has done for me." Catherine replied with her eyes closed.

"And you believe your prayers will be answered?"

Catherine made the sign of the cross and opened her eyes to look at her brother. "Of course, why are you asking me that?"

"Because sometimes I doubt he answers my prayers." said Alessandro. He was raised to be a cardinal. At the time, their education was provided by Pope Leo. Pope Leo had given Florence to their cousin Ippolito with the idea that Alessandro would become a Cardinal.

It was Pope Clement who would have preferred Alessandro to be duke of Florence, and so after his elevation to pope he had made him the duke of Florence and his nephew Ippolito cardinal, despite his displeasure.

All along Alessandro had thought that God would hate him for refusing his calling as a cardinal.

"You must not doubt the Almighty. He loves you as much as you love him, never doubt that Alessandro." Catherine said. She grabbed her older brother's hand and squeezed it.

She got up. "I have to go, I have to prepare for my wedding tomorrow and you need your rest." She kissed her brother on the cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too, rest well tonight Nanita." He watched his sister walk out of the chapel. He turned back to the altar and clasped his hands and began to pray.

I've been obsessed with House of The Dragon, the empress and the serpent queen for the past few days, which means you'll see a lot of scenes in this book, the good and the bad.

Hope you still like the book. If you have any suggestions or questions, you can always leave a comment. I appreciate feedback and language corrections since english is not my first language.