Ep. 3.7 (R) - You Want Me to Wear What?!

Start from the beginning

As they continue, Una points out another wooden structure about the size of a large, multi-car garage with two totems sitting out front of it and intricately etched murals running along both sides of the building. They recall the founding of the tribe, extol the blessings of their land, and celebrate all that has been bestowed upon them as a people.

"This is our Spirit House," Una tells them. "It's a very sacred space for the Kikatuwa tribe, as it was built and blessed by our elders, almost a century ago. It's a space that we use when we need to find guidance, seek wisdom, or thank our ancestors for the many blessings they have given to us."

Patrick leans over and whispers to Aidan and Farid, "We should start our search for the artifact there, given that it's a sacred space."

Both Aidan and Farid nod in agreement.

As they follow the winding path through the compound, Aidan suddenly looks up and notices an enormous flock of birds camped in the trees surrounding the sacred edifice. "Uh, so, what's with all the birds?" he asks, genuinely interested.

Una stops and turns. Looking up at the flock, she tilts her head and smiles. "Ah, you noticed our wolf-birds," she says to Aidan.

"Wolf-birds?" He looks back at her quizzically.

"Yes," Una replies. "You probably know them better as ravens." She gestures towards the flock. "You see, ravens are one of the few animals to sustain a truly symbiotic relationship with Shifters, especially with Wolf Shifters," she adds. "They often follow us on our excursions, showing us the clearest path, and alerting us to any unseen danger. In doing so, they are rewarded by the gift of sharing in our spoils."

"Your spoils?" Aidan crinkles his nose in question.

Patrick slides him a weary glance. "She means the kill," he adds, matter-of-factly.

"Oh..." Aidan slowly nods, his head bouncing then coming to a full stop once the meaning of Patrick's words actually sink in. "Ohhhh..." His eyes go wide as it registers that Patrick's actually  talking about dead animals. Given that the most hunting Enchanteds ever do is for medicinal plants and herbs, and on occasion, for rare sales of very expensive and highly coveted items, this comes as a bit of a shock to him. "I see," he murmurs, a bit thrown off, but ultimately marveling at this unexpected difference in their cultures.

In response, Una smiles and says, "We Shifters are very proud of our capacity to live in harmony with nature and our environment, and especially our ability to live peacefully with other species." Her gaze drifts over Aidan to land specifically on Farid.

"Unfortunately, unlike some Otherworlders," she murmurs, making a not so subtle reference to the time of the Shadow Wars, when Vampyrs--having found a way to temporarily control demons--were not only winning the war, but regularly enslaving Shifters and making captured Enchanteds their indentured servants.

Feeling defensive, Farid can't help but return her pointed glare, but quickly his heated glare fades into a woeful frown, and he looks away.

First the comment that Minuk had made when they'd arrived about Enchanteds living in manors and Vampyrs living in castles. And now this? He'd underestimated the chasm that still existed between the races. When were they going to get past all of this? When were they going to let their troubled history go?

Una, having made her point, simply turns on her heels and continues the tour.

*****

The boys are back in their yurt, getting ready for the evening's cleansing ceremony that Chief Qa'watil will hold in their honor in about an hour. While Patrick is not familiar with the specifics of the Kikatuwa's cleansing ceremony, he explains that all Shifter ceremonies involve spending at least some time in a sweat lodge to help purge whatever negative elements that particular tribe feels needs purging.