Linger On Your Pale Blue Eyes

Start from the beginning

Many of her Terran comrades rejected their TKL rations in favour of treats from home or they used personal income to purchase additional supplies from private dealers. The black market for food was roaring on the Enterprise.

But Tasha had never seen the need for such extravagance. She was grateful for her TKL ration. Because to a girl from Turkana, it was like manna from heaven.

-X-

Castillo reached the counter and was surprised to find three TKLs and a 'go' pack that was typical for extended away missions waiting for him. The go pack included dried food, high energy protein bars, instant tea & coffee, chocolate, water biscuits & jam, chewing gum, and tobacco.

Castillo frowned as he stared down at the stack of boxes.

"What's all this?" he asked.

The worker seemed confused.

"It's all paid for," the worker said as if that explained it.

"I don't understand," Castillo remarked.

He hadn't spent much time on the Enterprise-D, but it was enough to know that resources were skint.

"Look, I don't understand either, sir. Truly. Lieutenant Yar ordered me to put this together for you. Like I said, you don't owe nothing – it's all been taken care of from her allotment," the worker explained.

Castillo glanced back toward the table where Tasha was stuffing her face with porridge, his expression softened.

"Right, thanks," Castillo said.

He picked up the rations and turned to go – but a hand caught his wrist.

It was Guinan, the mysterious barkeep. Tasha had called her a friend, but she gave Castillo the chills.

Guinan looked around Castillo to the table where Tasha was sitting. She quickly put two and two together.

It wasn't a warning, but rather a request.

Castillo was taken aback.

"We're just having lunch," Castillo said.

Hell, he was a man from the past. No one knew what happened to those who travelled through time. Castillo didn't know if he would even be around in another two hours.

"Right," Guinan said, eyeing him carefully.

-X-

"You bought me dinner, Yar? So you do like me," he said with a smug look.

Tasha dropped her fork.

"Don't read into it. You need to eat," Tasha said.

Castillo smirked.

"Alright, alright. If that's how you want to play it – I'll be happy to pretend," Castillo said. "I know this meal wasn't courtesy of your Captain."

Tasha's posture stiffened.

"I think it's really sweet. You wanted to help," Castillo said in earnest.

There was no telling how long they would be aboard or if there was any hope of going back – not that Richard Castillo was eager to return to a battle with four Romulan warbirds.

"Whether you stay or go back, you'll need to keep up your strength. And the gods only know how hard that is on a warship in the midst of battle," Tasha said.

Tasha had been there herself – days on the Bridge, a TLK eaten hastily between blasts.

"Can't say much for the pickles, but when you've been on the Bridge for eighteen hours they're like the best treat in the whole universe," Tasha said.