s i x

CASEY

I enter my apartment, expecting to be met with an empty place, but instead walk in to find Koda raiding the fridge.

"You just get in?" I ask, setting my heavy bag down. Inside are two copies of the textbook needed for the psychology class, one of which Briar is too stubborn to accept. They make a distinct thud against the chair.

He closes the fridge, turning to give me a lazy smile. "Figured you might miss me."

I hold a hand over my heart, "Oh, so much."

I'm only half joking. Seeing Koda has shifted my mood, lifting the defeated weight off my shoulders. I haven't seen my roommate—and best friend—since the beginning of the summer. He looks tanner than when I'd last seen him. The dark freckles on his face are more distinct.

His parents are both talent agents based out of Broadway. They took the whole family on a two-month vacation to Greece—something my father would never dream of doing—because they missed Koda in the two semesters he had been away. Another thing my father could never dream up: missing me when I'm not around. That would require him to 1) notice I'm gone and 2) think of me and not my pitfalls. I find that entirely impossible.

Koda's eyes fall on my backpack. "You went to class?"

I shrug. "Is that so surprising?"

"Yes," he answers immediately. "It's syllabus week."

"Which is very important."

He studies my face. I try not to roll my eyes.

"Who are you and what have you done with Casey?"

I shake my head and sit down at the breakfast bar, changing the subject, "Where's my souvenir?"

Koda grins, holds up a finger, and runs up to his room. He's always been a fan of giving gifts. I can imagine him now, strolling through the cheesy tourist-trapped shops with his little sister, or, following his mother around a higher end store, in hopes of finding something perfect.

And he always does.

When he returns, he holds a small pouch that he opens and dumps onto my awaiting hand. A gold ring rolls to the center of my palm. It fits on my finger perfectly, not clashing with the other two I'd recieved as gifts when I was younger.

The one on my thumb is from my late grandfather, a signet ring with our family crest stamped into it. The other, my mother's emerald engagement ring, can be found on my pinky. The only finger it would fit. Koda's gift is not much like the other two I wear daily, that's what's so great about it. I grin at Koda, he grins back.

"You like?"

"Love," I reply. "Thank you. Seriously."

My phone buzzes in my pocket just as Koda's vibrates against the marble countertop. He glances at the screen.

He says, "It's Mik."

meet us at the tavern or else

Hi Mik, I type in our groupchat. Nice to know you made it back.

shots r on u, Brandt :)

I second that, her brother Nate says.

"You up for it?"

I shrug, which earns a smile from Koda. He runs back to his room to get ready, promising not to take as long as usual, and tells me we'll head out by ten.

I guess we're going out tonight. Maybe it'll help take my mind off everything. Briar and her grudge. My father and his looming plans for me. Maybe I need it. It's an excuse to see my friends, at the very least.